Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tomato Basil Pie with Bacon

For the first time I am joining in on Tuesday At The Table hosted by Andrea at All the Small Stuff.




I am sharing a recipe that I prepared last night for the first time. It was a recipe that a dear message board friend, Mary from Boston, had shared with me. I love a good Tomato Basil Pie and have found so many of them to be too heavy. This was a perfect blend of flavors and my husband and I both enjoyed this recipe. Thanks for sharing your recipe Mary. We are still experiencing some very hot weather in our area and my husband and I often like a dinner on the lighter side. This pie was perfect pared with a salad and a good red wine.





Tomato Basil Pie with Bacon

1 pie crust
3 medium to large tomatoes, sliced and drained between paper towels
6 slices of bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
3/4 cup of cheddar cheese, shredded
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
About 10 basil leaves, julienned and divided
3 extra large eggs
1 cup of milk (or cream)
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 F. Blind bake for 15 min. Take out of oven and remove beans or rice (for blind baking). Score the entire crust, except for the very top. Place back in oven for 5 minutes more.

Take crust out of oven and let cool completely.

While mixing the remainder of the pie pre-heat oven to 375 F.

Add eggs and milk to a medium sized bowl and whisk. Add a teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Add cheeses to the egg mixture and mix well. Place half of the bacon in the bottom of the pie shell, place half the tomatoes and sprinkle half of the basil on the tomatoes. Place half of the cheese mixture to the tomatoes. Repeat with a second layer. Sprinkle top with a little extra Parmesan cheese if desired.

Place pie in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until slightly browned. If the top of the crust gets too brown you can cover just the top of the pie crust with aluminum foil to continue baking. When done allow it to rest for about 15 minutes.








It looked just as good before going into the oven as it did when it came out.






Thank you Mary for sharing this recipe. It will remain in my repertoire of recipes and I will prepare it often.




To see other wonderful recipes from the participants of Tuesday At The Table click here, All the Small Stuff.

8 comments:

  1. Carolyn -- it looks delish! Of course, Mary's did too! I must make this and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds and looks just devine. I know it is something I would love. Wish I had a piecrust already made. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted recipes for tomato pie not long ago. It's just absolutely one of my favorite summertime meals. I would love for you to join me for Crock Pot Wednesdays at Diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. Mister Linky is up and ready for your suggestions. Come check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy!! Thanks for sharing!! The wine looks good also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made that last week! Sooo yummy!

    Thanks for joining in the TATT fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds fabulous. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment on my carrot cake. I hope you will try it. The glaze really amps it up and it is really good is you microwave each slice for about 11 seconds just before serving.

    Stop by and visit again when you can. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything is better with bacon!! I love your silver napkin rings, so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is timely! I have tons of tomatoes and basil, so I think this recipe will land on next week's menu.

    ReplyDelete