Friday, September 25, 2009

Chive Risotto Cakes




My favorite cookbook author and also my favorite food network chef is Ina Garten. Chive Risotto Cakes is a recipe from her latest cookbook Back to Basics. All of Ina Garten's books are fabulous and I have them all but this one speaks to a wide audience and one I most often recommend.



Chive Risotto Cakes

Serves 6

Kosher salt
1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
2 extra-large eggs
3 tablespoons minced fresh chives
1-1/2 cups grated Italian Fontina cheese (5 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup panko (Japanese dried bread flakes)
Good olive oil

Bring a large (4-quart) pot of water to a boil, add 1/2 tablespoon salt and the Arborio rice. Cook, stirring, occasionally, for 20 minutes. The grains of rice will be quite soft. Drain the rice in a sieve and run under cold water until cool. Drain well.

Meanwhile, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, chives, Fontina, 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, and the pepper in a medium bowl. Add the cooled rice and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight, until firm.

When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 250 degrees.

Spread the panko in a shallow dish. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Form balls of the rice mixture using a standard (2-1/4-inch) ice-cream scoop or a large spoon. Pat the balls into patties 3 inches in diameter and 3/4 inch thick. Place 4 to 6 patties in the panko, turning once to coat.

Place the patties in the hot oil and cook, turning once, for about 3 minutes on each side until the risotto cakes are crisp and nicely browned. Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and keep warm in the oven for up to 30 minutes. Continue cooking in batches, adding oil as necessary, until all the cakes are fried.

Serve hot.


These looked wonderful and tasty in the book and when I watched her make these on her program. A light dinner pared with a good Mixed Green Salad and a good bottle of white wine. My wine of choice this evening will be a King Estate Pinot Gris and this will be the dinner I prepare this evening.




I put these together last night and it smells heavenly. The recipe suggests that after putting the ingredients together that they be refrigerated for a couple of hours or over night which is what I did.



I was able to find a good Italian Fontina cheese for this recipe and much to my surprise there is a dramatic taste difference from other Fontina cheeses that I have used. I also have chives growing in my garden so I had plenty for this recipe.




Today I am joining Foodie Friday hosted by Designs by Gollum. To see other outstanding recipes submitted by other participants click here.

7 comments:

  1. These really sound delicious, Carolyn. I'll have to give them a try. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds YUMMY!!! I will have to try these soon. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this sounds sooooo good. I am always looking for new good recipes and this sounds wonderful. I love your cookbook holder too. I just found one at Ross yesterday that I liked, so I finally have one too. I can't wait to use it to hold the cookbook open, with it laying down it drives me crazy. lol Thanks so much for stopping by and your gracious comments on my little yard redo. Yes we can grow Hibiscus and Bouganvilla in Arizona, I do have both in other parts of the yard, but this one section was what I see from the pation most of the time, and I had tried some plants that just didn't make it. I this this is a better view anyway and the pots can always be replanted really easily. Hope you have a great day. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not tried these but will be on the menu soon -- looks really good.

    Great light supper or lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing. I have copied the recipe for my cooking group. Thanks for sharing. I adore Ina and all of her recipes.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks good. I used to enjoy Ina Garten's cooking show but we don't get her anymore.
    The red shrub you were asking about is a burning bush or euonymus alatus compacta.I love how it turns scarlet in the fall and it does have orange berries for the birds.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful outdoor tablescape! I love the tablecloth and those pretty fall pillows. I especially like that teapot ... gorgeous!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete