Thursday, September 3, 2009

Blackberry Cobbler



It is Foodie Friday hosted by Designs by Gollum. I am sharing with you my most favorite Fruit Cobbler and this time my Blackberry Cobbler. A simple dessert but can certainly be kicked up if you wish but definitely stands alone also. Please check out other participants of Foodie Friday by clicking here.


I have for many years toyed with several cobbler recipes but go back to the same one each time. It's simple, buttery tasting and you can use whatever fruit you have on hand whether it be blackberries, blueberries or peaches. They each are wonderful in this recipe.

I have come across several variations of this same recipe but over the years have tweaked it to become my own recipe.

My Favorite Cobbler

1/2 cup butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
1 cup milk
1 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups sliced peaches, blackberries, or blueberries

Preheat oven to 350*.

Melt butter in a 2-quart casserole dish as the oven is preheating. Mix together flour, 1 cup sugar, salt, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg. Mix thoroughly. Mix 1 cup milk and 1 1/4 teaspoon almond extract. Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients and do not over mix.

In separate bowl place fruit and 1/2 cup of sugar.

Pour flour mixture over butter; do not stir. Place fruit on top of wet mixture, do not stir. Bake at 350* for about 45 minutes or until bubbly and desired browning. Serve warm with Ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.







I always prep each recipe.



With this particular cobbler I was using blackberries.



The amount of sugar added depends on how sweet the fruit is and ripeness.




Always place the butter in the casserole dish in the oven while pre-heating.




Pouring in the wet ingredients and then the fruit without mixing it is very important.



The result is a lovely but yet simple cobbler.



Try it, you will enjoy it and to make it even more enjoyable try adding a scoop of your favorite ice cream or a little fresh whipped cream. It doesn't get any better than this.




Please join other participants at Designs by Gollum for some other tempting reipes.

8 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!! recipe and I love the idea that you can use different fruits. THANKS!!! for the recipe. I have become a follower of your blog. Come by and visit my blog and maybe do the same. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this looks so delicious. I love a good cobbler! Looks like I'm going to have to try your recipe!
    Elaine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks so nice. If only I could reach the pounds and pounds of blackberry's hanging in the bushes right behind my fence. But they are even to high up and just that bit to far out to be reached by a stepladder.
    I wish I could indulge in this cobbles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make this cobbler but have never put the almond extract in it--I am going to give that a try. I agree with you. This recipe is the best--easy and never fail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember on labor day holiday, my aunt and mother were visiting. My daughter came in the kitchen with a handful of wild blackberries. We all ended up going out and picked about a quart. Mom and aunt made a cobbler without even using a recipe. This is one of my fondest memories. I just may make this in memory of these ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks yummy, and I love easy recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn, this sounds delicious and your instructions are fantastic. I can't wait to give your recipe a try. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum!!! This sounds wonderful. I think I have all the ingredients to make it too.

    ReplyDelete