Saturday, April 25, 2009

Southerner's and Their Front Porches

I can remember as a young girl going to visit my great grandmother with my grandmother and on occassion we would spend the night. She lived in a little country community that couldn't have been more than an hours drive from my home but when we made that trip it seemed like ten hours to me who at the time was very young. Now an hour doesn't seem like a very long time. Funny how that changes as you get older????

One of my favorite things to do while visiting my great grandmother was to sit on her front porch while sipping iced tea and shelling peas and butter beans. We would have the most interesting chats and watch people go by down an old country road. Oh what fond memories.


I can honestly say that I enjoy my front porch as much as I did when I was a child on my great grandmothers porch. I'm not sure if it is a Southern "thing" or not but I dearly love whiling away the time late in the afternoon watching all my neighbors drive by or watching joggers pass in front of my house or just merely watching people walk by as they walk their dogs. It is a fun pass time.


Sometimes I enjoy sitting on the front porch reading a book or my latest magazine in my rocking chair. My favorite thing to do is to have cocktails sitting in the rocking chairs especially if there is a cool breeze out.


Or if I have some time on my hands I love to sit on the swing and just relax. Either way, having a big front porch is a "good thing." I think I am off to have my cocktail with my husband on our front porch. He enjoys it as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. Carolyn -- what a great post and I LOVE your pictures!

    ReplyDelete