Sunday, April 26, 2009

Metamorphosis Monday

I am new to blogging but many of the blogs I visit participate in Metamorphosis Monday and I thought it was time that I participated as well. Metamorphosis Monday is hosted by Susan at





This past year we have gone through some major changes in our lives and in our home. I wanted to share the changes we made in my kitchen. As the center piece of our home litterally, it is central to our house, and after living in our home for 28 years we felt the need to update. We tore down walls, ceiling and reconfigured the entire kitchen.


We updated once before about ten years ago but decided to make major changes this time. I had a very nice kitchen when we began this project but there were so many things I wanted to change.


I had the upper glass front cabinets that I dearly love but I also had a saufett above the cabinets that I was told was a very dated look. More than that we wanted to add a gas cooktop, a large sub-zero refrigerator and I had my mind set on a few other decorative ideas.


I did keep some of the decorative things in my kitchen and kept a similar color scheme but oh what a change. I will let it speak for itself.

What was once the breakfast area soon became the center piece of our kitchen. I found this French Antique Pastry Table and we decorated our kitchen around this piece. Oh BTW, the breakfast area got move to the room beyond these cabinets. This gave me more storage and defined the space. The light fixture is an early 1800's piece that was originally a gas piece and it was converted to electric.


It also allowed me some additonal places for my cookbooks which was much needed since I am constantly adding to my collection.


I LOVE my new sub-zero and the light fixtures are two that I found online, Bell Jar Lanterns. I felt they complimented the gas/electric piece very well.


I had an island before but we made this one more narrow to accomodate the sub-zero. The wood surface on the island is called Zebra Wood and it comes from Africa.


My new gas cook top is a Wolf. I have my entire married life used an electric cooktop and I have been married for forty years. I thought this would be quite an adjustment but I found that it was not.


Above the cooktop is one of my most treasured pieces. The mural is called "Three French Hens" and it was hand painted in England.


My farmhouse sink and I must say that when people see my new kitchen this is what they comment on most often. I do in fact love this sink with the side drain. The herb wreath in the window was a gift from three very special friends as a reminder for hosting them for a gathering at the beach. The countertops are Vermont Soapstone and it goes with the Zebra Wood very nicely.

I am enjoying my new kitchen and will share as time goes on some of my culinary adventures.

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely kitchen- before and after.
    I enjoyed visiting your blog.

    Come see me at
    whitespraypaint.blogspot.com

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have SZE.... Sub Zero Envy. Please share it with me :).

    Great kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is beautiful! I love your new gas stove, sub zero frig...and the mural is wonderful! Love the bell jar lanterns, too! This is a dream kitchen! Great Met Monday post! :-) Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful new kitchen you have! You did a good job girl! Lots of storage space is what everyone needs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, stop by Linderhof, I have something for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn, your new kitchen is awesome. Welcome to Met Monday -- it's fun to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn,
    What a wonderful dream kitchen.. LOVE the mural, and the marble Pastry Table. Can't wait to see more. Thanks for sharing your fabulous transformation.
    Have a Great Week,
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your kitchen makeover looks great. I really like the island and the light fixtures above it. And wow, a six burner stove.... sweet!!!

    Kelly @ DesignTies

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful kitchen! I love your butcher block island and the farmhouse sink is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AWESOME MAKEOVER!!!

    I adore the rooster mural over the cooktop!

    Thanks for sharing your beautiful kitchen.

    Happy Monday, Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  11. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. I love the transformation. I think white and black cabinets mixed together are so pretty. Your accessories and your details with the tile are are stunning. Great job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. A dream kitchen! Gorgeous, every inch of it. I especially love the bell jar lanterns, and that WOLF cooktop -- oh my I envy you that, big time!

    Fabulous -- beautiful and functional, perfect.
    Cass

    ReplyDelete