Thursday, April 2, 2009

Bridesmaids Luncheon

My daughter was married last Saturday, March 28. On Friday, March 27 I gave the Bridesmaids Luncheon and included all the bridesmaids(there were ten), their mothers and the grooms mother and grandmothers. We had twenty four people for the luncheon.

When I was married almost forty years ago, my mother did my bridesmaids luncheon also. It was important to me to carry on that tradition but also I wanted to have at least one function at the home where my daughter was raised. She was two when we built our home 28 years ago.


A very dear friend always does a menu card when she does a luncheon and I chose to do the same. This is a friend who always gives me lots of inspiration. I ordered menu cards from Carolyne Roehm and they were white with a blue edge as this was the color scheme. I also ordered from her the place cards that a friend of mine had done in calligraphy. I used Fleur d Lis silver place card holders that I ordered from Nell Hills in Atchinson, KS. The place settings would not be complete without my collection of antique sterling silver napkin rings with my collection of white antique napkins inside them. I also used my fine china, stemware and hotel silver. I had servers serving the plates from the kitchen and then serving our guests after we had our soup which was served from the buffet in the same room. I also did the flower arrangements on each table. I used clear crystal round rose bowls filled with shades of white roses and they sat on blue silk pin tucked table cloths. I also rented the mahogany chavari chairs for the occasion.



It was intended to be a Garden Party Bridesmaids Luncheon but unfortunately Mother Nature did not co-operate. I had worked for months getting my garden in pristine condition for this luncheon. So because of rain we had to go to Plan "B". We removed all furniture from my family room so we would have room for the round tables.


As guests arrived we served Mimosa's and coffee from the screened porch.

My kicked up version of Mimosa's.

Rim champagne flutes with Grand Marnier, then in superfine sugar, let dry over night. To each flute fill about half with champagne, half with orange juice and a splash or two of Grand Marnier. This is a mighty fine Mimosa.

Everyone had a wonderful time. I had the lunch catered with the exception of a Chilled Cucumber Soup with Shrimp. This is a recipe that came from one of my favorite cookbook authors, Ina Garten and from her latest book,Back To Basics. I will share this recipe. I highly recommend it for a Spring or Summer Luncheon. It is delicious. I served this soup from an antique glass punch bowl that was sitting on a pedestal and used the matching cups. Unfortunately, I failed to get a photo of it. I will get better at this with time, hopefully.

Chilled Cucumber Soup With Shrimp

Serves 6

3 (7-ounce) containers Greek yogurt
1 cup half-and-half
2 hothouse cucumbers, unpeeled, seed and chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
6 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
4 teaspoons kosher salt
1-1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
1/2 pound cooked large shrimp, halved (see note)
Thin slices of lemon, halved, for garnish
Fresh dill, for garnish

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the yogurt, half-and-half, cucumbers, red onion, scallions, salt, and pepper. Transfer the mixture in batches to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until the cucumbers are coarsely pureed and then pour into another bowl. Continue processing the soup until all of it is pureed. Fold in the dill, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until very cold.

Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice. Serve chilled, garnished with the shrimp, lemon, and fresh dill.



1 comment:

  1. Carolyn -- sorry that your party had to come inside but I think you did very well with Plan B -- the tables look awesome. I love the menu!

    ReplyDelete