Friday, February 4, 2011

Emeril's Tuscan Bean Soup

I love a good soup as most of us do and especially this time of year. My husband and I both enjoy watching Emeril's program in the evening and I thought this one particular recipe sounded excellent.

This Tuscan Bean Soup looked and sounded so delicious that I had to try it. I had recently had a Collard Green Soup made by a very dear friend that was amazing so I thought that this soup of Emeril's might be worth trying also since it used Kale.




Emeril's Tuscan Bean Soup
1/2 cup kidney beans soaked overnight or 1 (14-ounce) can store-bought beans, drained and rinsed

1/2 cup cannellini beans soaked overnight or 1 (14-ounce) can store-bought beans, drained and rinsed

3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling on bread

1/2 pound diced pancetta

2 cups diced yellow onions

1 cup diced celery

1 cup diced carrots

4 cloves garlic, sliced

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes

1 (14-ounce) can chick peas, drained and rinsed

2 quarts chicken stock, plus extra water if needed

2 sprigs rosemary

3 sprigs thyme

1 sprig oregano

1 bay leaf

1 teaspoon red chili flakes

2 heads Lacinata kale, stems removed and cut into bite size pieces

1 loaf Italian peasant bread, cut into thick slices

Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated, for serving

Directions

Place the kidney beans in a medium pot, add water to cover by 2-inches and bring to a boil. (If using canned kidney beans, skip this step.) Turn the heat down, let simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until just-tender. Use the same process for the cannellini beans.

In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the pancetta, rendering the fat and cooking until slightly crispy about 3 minutes. Saute the onion, celery, carrot and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Add the diced tomatoes, the cooked and drained kidney beans, cannellini beans, chick peas, and the chicken stock. Using kitchen twine, tie the herbs and the bay leaf into a bundle and add to the pot. Season with the red chili flakes, salt and pepper. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, then add the kale. Continue cooking until the beans are completely tender.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Drizzle olive oil over the slices of peasant bread, season with a little salt and pepper and toast in the oven. Serve the soup in large bowls with grated Parmesan and a slice of toast.

My Notes: if you don't have any homemade chicken stock and I most often don't, try the brand Kitchen Basics. I have found it to be the best chicken stock I have ever used. I also used all canned beans and I don't think there is any advantage to using dried.


I used a  6 quart soup pot and you really need a pot this size since there is a lot of kale but it does cook down.

It makes 3 1/2 quarts of soup and will serve 8 people.
This soup was quite frankly, simply amazing. I thought it absolutely delicious and oh so nutritious.


I think you could easily add some cooked Italian Sausage if you wanted but it was a hearty soup without anything else added. 

Pared with an excellent glass of red wine it made for wonderful dinner fare on a chilly night. Mr H even liked it and he is somewhat of a picky eater.

Remember you can click onto any photo to enlarge it.

I am sharing this post today at two blogging parties,  Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum and also Saturday Swap at Quit Eating Out.


 

6 comments:

  1. I have been on such a kick lately with beans... craving them in soups and stews, So I'm super anxious to try your recipe! Thanks so much for linking to Saturday Swap. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, this looks delicious. I would have loved to have had dinner with you when you made this! Thanks for the good review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn -- your soup look delicious and I love your final picture of the soup on the tray (which is a Nell Hills tray?) -- I did try that quiche -- delicious -- we finished up the rest for lunch yesterday -- now here's another soup for us to try!!! But with the snow on the ground it's definitely soup time at Linderhof!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I have everything I need to make it except the kale. I'm definitely going to try it! Thanks for the recipe, Carolyn!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love a hearty bean soup and I have everything except the kale, so I may try this. I made a wonderful bean soup last week and we just finished the last of it. I always have my own chicken stock, as I can't bear to waste a smidgen of anything from our home-raised chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely fabulous soup - love everything about it!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete