Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Spring is on it's way

In most parts of the country there is still snow on the ground but here in North Florida we are beginning to see signs of Spring. That is one thing I love about where I live, we do have seasons, some of them shorter than in most areas of the country and not as severe but when Spring does arrive it is so beautiful.

The past few days I have been able to keep the heat off and enjoy our screened in porch which I will share with you today. This time of year I think I enjoy our porch more than any other time of year. I often have morning coffee here, maybe lunch in between gardening activities, and afternoon tea here as well. Since our Spring is so short the heat that becomes so intense here sometimes prohibits the use of this porch but right now I am just loving the use of it.

The porch gets the morning sun and this mosaic piece by a local artist that I have had for a very long time is just gorgeous when the sun is shining through it. The mosaic was an anniversary gift from Mr H because I was so fond of this artists work. I have several of her pieces.

 I also grow orchids and I do not have a greenhouse but grow just enough to have one or two blooming almost year round to enjoy indoors. This one is fascinating to me in that it grows without any kind of medium surrounding it's roots to protect it. It is called a Vanda orchid and this hot pink color is a favorite of mine.
It is just beginning to open up and I will be able to enjoy it for at least a month. This type of orchid needs to be watered everyday, twice a day if possible.

On the opposite side of the porch hangs a painted piece by my favorite artist, my daughter.She painted this for me on an old window right on the glass in acrylics.

I think I mentioned earlier in this post that here in North Florida we are beginning to see the first signs of Spring. I cut my first daffodils to bloom just yesterday.


Spring is just around the corner and I know it is for the rest of the country as well. I am hopeful that by sharing my signs of Spring will lift your spirits if you are having to deal with all the snow.

Today is Outdoor Wednesday hosted by Susan at A Southern Daydreamer. To see other participants of this blogging party click here. Enjoy your day where ever you are.

14 comments:

  1. Oh Carolyn, how wonderful to see your daffodils! I love your porch, with it's beautiful artwork. And I am in awe of your orchid -- I have never tried to keep one because I'm almost sure I would kill it... lol
    xoxo,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, there is so much to see in your post. First, that glass is gorgeous and your daughter's painting is so great also!!! The orchids are ...just stunning...I sure envy the ability to grow orchids!!! I grew up calling daffodils "buttercups" and tell my Calif native that saying buttercup is the "Southern" way...I always look forward to them and these are so pretty...I'm so happy that you visited today!! Please come back soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely area to just chill and enjoy. we winter in Lady Lake, Florida and have enjoyed the weather recently. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be spring...it will be spring...it will be spring....just keeping the faith and enjoying your lovely blossoms. Thanks for sharing them and for stopping by my post. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring is just flirting with us here on the Island. Last night we had snow, but afternoon rain took care of that, and the hellebores don't seem to have suffered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back again. Thank you so much for filling in some of the blank spaces about my tablecloth. I always enjoys the times that I pull it out to use. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carolyn,
    Isn't is great to see spring popping up!! Love those happy yellow blooms, like much needed sunshine:-)
    Thanks for stopping by! I am your newest followera nd look forward to chatting again:-)
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky you to be seeing such wonderful signs of Spring. While we have a lot of melting going on here in New York, what it's revealing is anything but pretty.

    The painted window by your daughter is gorgeous. I clearly see why she's your favorite artist. Love your orchids. I've never been able to keep them alive. And I LOVE seeing those daffodils. It's coming!!!!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  9. As my friend above said, we are not so lucky to see any signs of Spring here in NY. But I am loving yours and that window is fabulous! Daffoldils! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am your newest follower! And I know daffodils is spelled wrong above! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carolyn, my daffodils are up and have buds, but are not opening yet. Thank you so much for sharing yours. They are my all-time favourite flower.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post is a treat to my eyes after a long day at work. I love the painting by your daughter. What a gorgeous mosaic! Your orchids and daffodils are beautiful.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fabulous to see your daffodils. I'll miss mine this spring as they will bloom before we get back to the mountains. Your orchid is beautiful. I had no idea they needed to be watered two times a day. Wow. They must be thirsty.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete