Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day to All

I had my family over last night for dinner and we celebrated Valentines. My way of showing my love for my family is of course, preparing a wonderful meal for them. With four grand children running around I failed to get any photos but my menu went something like this.

Savannah Seafood Gumbo
served over rice

A Greek Salad

Chicken Fingers for the children

For Dessert
Coeur a la Creme
Red Velvet Cupcakes for the children

I have roots in New Orleans, my first ancestor to this country was a Spanish Conquistador and he took a French wife from New Orleans. I grew up eating all kinds of gumbos, jambalya's and crawfish pie. I also grew up with both of my parents loving to cook. My Dad loved to prepare typical New Orleans cuisine and my mother favored preparing French cuisine. A very dear friend has a post on her blog today that made me think of lots of wonderful memories, Random Musings of a Deco Lady.

My favorite Valentines dessert is Coeur a la Creme and I always use Ina Garten's recipe. The mere presentation of it always gets lots of ooooh's and aaaah's whether it be for a dinner party as the one I did recently or for a family dinner. The best part is that it is so very easy to prepare but it is necessary to have one piece of special equipment. Easy to find online or at Amazon, William Sonoma or Sur La Table. You would also need some cheesecloth.


This is a favorite dessert of mine.


Ina Garten's Coeur a la Creme with Raspberries
serves 6 to 8


12 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp grated lemon zest
Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean
Raspberry Sauce  (recipe follows)
1 pint fresh raspberries


Place the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on high speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down the beater and bowl with a rubber spatula and change the beater for the whisk attachment. With the mixer on low speed, add the heavy cream, vanilla, lemon zest, and vanilla seeds and beat on high speed until the mixture is very thick, like whipped cream.

Line a heart shaped mold with cheesecloth leaving extra to drape over the sides and place it on a plate, making sure that there is space between the bottom of the mold and the plate for the liquid to drain. Pour the cream mixture into the cheesecloth, fold the ends over the top, and refrigerate overnight.
 To serve, discard the liquid and unmold the cream onto a plate, and drizzle raspberry  sauce around the base.  Serve with fresh raspberries abd extra sauce.


Raspberry Sauce

1 half-pint fresh raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup (12 ounces) seedless raspberry jam
1 tablespoon framboise Liqueur

Bring the raspberries, sugar, and 1/4 cup water to a boil. Simmer 4 minutes and pour into bowl of food processor. Add the jam and liqueur. Process till smooth and chill.




Today I am joining Mary at Little Red House for her blogging party Mosaic Monday.









7 comments:

  1. Yummy and beautiful! Stopped over from Mosaic Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY! That is SO gorgeous! Almost too good to eat! Love your pretty photos! Happy Monday! ♥ And thanks for writing! I have NOT seen Secretariet yet but I know I will love it! I probably should just buy it when it comes out! Hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vry pretty and it looks so yummy! Happy Valentine's Day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, beautiful! I love Ina's Coeur à la Crème recipe, too. And it always turns out wonderfully.

    I'm so glad you enjoyed the post I did about the Valentine candy heart boxes. I've now added another post with memories of "things from my MIL's house".

    Your menu sounds delightful, and you know how I love Louisiana food. :-) I need to look at your recipe for gumbo.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had a lovely dinner...I love all New Orleans inspired foods. And your dessert sounds absolutely delicious. I have to try this recipe...the pan is worth buying!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so pretty!
    I know little about New Orleans cooking - was there once in the 80's but we had a baby with us and fine dining just didn't figure into our plans. I'd love to go back one day for a grown-up view of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That makes such a pretty dessert -- and so perfect for Valentine's but it is good any time of the year!

    ReplyDelete