Thursday, February 24, 2011

Buttermilk Cornbread

Last week I made a Seafood Gumbo over rice and I pared it with it a delicious Buttermilk Cornbread. As my mother did I like to use a stone ground corn meal. It makes for a crunchy texture.
I always prep my ingredients before beginning.


This recipe is adapted from a Fine Cooking magazine issue. This magazine is my favorite and I never miss an issue.

Buttermilk Cornbread

Serves 6 to 8

1 3/4 cups medium-grind stone-ground yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into a few pieces

Position a rack in the center of the oven and put a 9-to10-inch cast-iron skillet or a 9-inch heavy-duty square or round metal baking pan (not nonstick) on the rack. Heat the oven to 425 degrees.

In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil over high heat. In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the cornmeal and the boiling water. Stir to blend-the mixture should become a thick mush.

In a medium bowl, whisk the remaining 1 1/4 cups cornmeal with the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda to blend.

Add the buttermilk, sour cream, and eggs to the cornmeal mush and whisk to blend.

When the oven and pan are fully heated, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until just blended. Do not overmix.

Remove the hot pan from the oven and add the butter pieces, tilting the pan to swirl the butter around until it's melted and the pan is well coated. (The butter may brown; that's fine.) Immediately pour the melted butter over the mixed batter and stir to combine a half-dozen strokes with a wooden spoon should be plenty. Scrape into the hot pan.

Bake until the cornbread pulls away from the sides of the pan and is golden on top, 18 to 20 minutes. Immediately turn the bread out onto a rack. Cool for 5 minutes. Serve hot.

This cornbread pared nicely with my Seafood Gumbo which I will share another time.


I am joining Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee West at Desings by Gollum. There are some wonderful recipes shared at this blogging party every week so click here to see what others have posted.

7 comments:

  1. This brings me "home" to my southern roots!!

    Lynn, over at Happier Than a Pig in Mud posted an idea for doing an Ina recipe and sharing it. It was a few days ago. I've just done my first link-up (Foodie Friday) and once I figured out how easy it is an how many new blogs I'll be introduced to, I'll be doing more.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a fellow southerner, I can totally appreciate a good skillet of cornbread. Your recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made cornbread in a skillet, but I think it's time to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the way I make corn bread, makes the best crust-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a good cornbread recipe!!! You Southerner's know how to do it and do it well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cornbread and gumbo...cornbread and most anything!!! And always in a cast iron skillet. Yum!
    Jane (artfully graced)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I am seriously hungry for cornbread. I think I will bake some tomorrow. And doesn't stone ground cornmeal make all the difference? We certainly think so!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete