Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Joy of Orchids

Here in N FL our heat and humidity has really stressed most gardens in our area. It has been so intense with triple digits and no rain that I have even lost some heirloom roses that I have had for years. I do have a water system that I use a couple of times a week but there is nothing like the water that falls from the heavens.

I am a collector of orchids and usually have a few blooming at all times thus the title The Joy of Orchids. When the garden is looking stressed and parched these beautiful blooms bring me such joy.
These are hanging in my outdoor garden room, my screened porch. The one on the left is called a Vanda orchid and is not potted in any planting medium. It does however, require watering every day. The one on the left off the top of my head I'm not sure what it's called without looking it up in my reference book but it is very fragrant.

I have two blooms open now and several more coming so I will be able to enjoy this for several weeks. These were taken this morning with the early morning sun peaking through the mosaic piece. The mosaic piece is an artwork done by a local artist and this particular piece was given to me many years ago by my husband as an anniversary gift. I have since purchased many more of this artists work that I have hanging throughout my house.

The fragrance from this bloom is breathtaking and I love this color.

Vanda orchids are so interesting to me because they grow without any potting medium. The roots just hang and are exposed which is why they must be watered frequently just as they grow in their natural habitat in a Rain Forest of South America.

The Vanda's will bloom a couple of times a year and I have three. Each a different color but they are fascinating to grow. I have lost a couple a time or two but I never give up.

The Vanda's I keep outside hanging in trees since they need filtered sun when outside and all my other orchids I keep on an a two tiered iron tea cart which is quite large. When our temperatures drop below 50* the whole tea cart is brought inside. When in bloom though I always bring them inside to enjoy.

Even though these orchids hang on my screened porch I can still enjoy the view from inside. All of my exterior doors are glass doors like this one leading to the screened porch.
Here is another orchid that is blooming right now and I brought it indoors to enjoy.This particular orchid has a very long stem and makes for a very dramatic statement I think.

It is still so very hot here in our area and I prepared a wonderfully refreshing drink, a Strawberry Lemonade and it comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, Seasonal Recipes From the Garden by P. Allen Smith. This is a new book for Allen written because of his use of his own home grown foods at his country retreat just outside of Little Rock, Arkansas. He is best known as a trained Landscape Architect and he was trained in England. I receive his weekly newsletters and enjoy his blog as well. http://www.pallensmith.com/blog/ Allen is a wealth of information.
Strawberry Lemonade
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1cup fresh lemon juice
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
2 cups chilled sparkling water or club soda
Ice
Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
Whole strawberries, for garnish

Combine the water and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Once the mixture is bubbling, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Add the lemon zest and juice, stir and then remove the pan from the heat. Let the mixture cool completely, and then pour it through a strainer into a clean pitcher.

Puree the pint of strawberries in a blender and add the puree to the lemonade. Stir well to combine, and refrigerate until nice and cold.

Just before serving, add the chilled sparkling water and stir well. Pour into glasses filled with ice, garnish each one with a mint sprig and a strawberry, and serve.

This is a wonderful summer refreshment but it makes for an excellent evening cocktail too. I added some Lemon Vodka, FABULOUS!!!!!

Today I am linking to Outdoor Wednesday. I hope you enjoyed my orchids and I hope it will inspire you to try growing them yourself.


5 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, delicious. Your orchids are beautiful when blooming. I have never had luck with growing them. Now we live in cold weather that would not do for orchids. Nice post.
    xo, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 your window hanging AND the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think cooler weather can get here fast enough (ugh). Love, love your orchids and the stain glass wall hanging is so pretty.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orchids are so mysterious and alluring. I love them! We've tried to have ours bloom again, but have never, yet, been successful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn -- your orchids are exquisite!!! You certainly have an "orchid" thumb!!! They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete