Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cheesy Shrimp and Grits Casserole

I am sharing a dish that I prepared recently, a Cheesy Shrimp and Grits Casserole. The recipe was given to me by a very dear friend and I can honestly say that it is probably the BEST Shrimp and Grits dish I have ever had. Being the Southerner that I am I have eaten lots of Shrimp and Grits dishes at some fine restaurants along the Gulf coast. This is so good that I wouldn't change a single thing.

We are so fortunate living here along the Gulf Coast of North Florida to be able to enjoy lots and lots of fresh seafood. Thankfully our area was not affected by the Gulf spill last year either.
 Cheese Shrimp and Grits Casserole

4 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup regular grits
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese, divided
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
6 green onions, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 to 1 1/2 pounds of large shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
1-10 ounce can diced tomatoes
1-4 ounce can chopped green chiles, drained
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Bring 4 cups chicken broth and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a large saucepan; stir in grits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.

Stir in the grits 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese and the Monterey Jack cheese.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add green onions, bell pepper, and garlic and saute' for 5 minutes or until tender.

Stir together the green onion mixture into the grits mixture, add shrimp and next 3 ingredients Pour into a lightly buttered 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle top with the remaining 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar Cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes.

This will serve 10 to 12 people as a side but stands alone as an entree' as well. Pared with a Mixed Green Salad and you have a mighty fine dinner.

My Notes; I used 1 1/2 pound of extra large shrimp and I lightly sauted them in the same pan that I sauteed the green onion mixture.

This would be very impressive dinner party fare and to serve I gave it a light sprinkle of paprika.

I thought this was an excellent dish and one I will make again and again.

I am sharing this recipe at Michael Lee's blogging party, Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing!! I can't wait to try it. I'm visiting from Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was just a few minutes ago, that I was eyeing a shrimp and grits recipe in Bon Appetit-It was destiny that I came across your site.

    Great recipe!

    I am your newest follower.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who am I to argue with "the best I've ever had"? I guess I'll have to give this recipe a try sometime to see for myself.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is intriguing. We don't have grits up here but I'm sure I can get it across the line the next time we're down. I wonder if this would stand up as a winter entree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn - this looks great. I'm having a brunch Monday and Shrimp and Grits is one of my possibles. After seeing your recipe it may be the entree! It really looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great! I am saving it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate to admit that I have still never tasted grits! It's just not something you see on menus here in the Midwest :) I would love to try this dish, though, based on your review and shrimp and grit expertise!

    ReplyDelete