Friday, April 30, 2010

My Favorite Pound Cake




It is time once again for Foodie Friday hosted by Machael Lee West at Designs by Gollum. I always look forward to Foodie Friday because there are some amazing cooks out there in blog land and I feel so fortunate that they are sharing their most special recipes. Take a look at all the participants. You won't be disappointed.

Today I am sharing My Favorite Pound Cake recipe. Over the many years of my married life I have tried many Pound Cake recipes and then a very dear friend gave me the recipe that she had used her whole married life. I baked it for the first time and it turns out, that is the BEST Pound Cake I have ever baked.

Becky's Pound Cake

1 1/2 cups butter
3 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour, sifted
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Grease and flour a large tube pan. Or use Baker's Joy.

Cream butter and sugar till perfectly smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add flour a little at a time. Slowly add milk, flavoring and salt. Add baking powder last. Pour batter into prepared pan and place in COLD oven. Turn temperature to 325*F and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cool slightly and remove from pan.

Note: Make sure the butter and eggs are at room temperature before preparing the cake.



Just out of the oven.



It rose and browned so nicely. I think it may help too that I have new Wolf ovens.




I couldn't help myself from taking that first slice.




Sometimes going back to basics and fine tuning recipes is a Good Thing.



I have always loved the versatility of a Pound Cake whether it is topped with fresh strawberries or a wonderful Caramel Sauce or even a Cognac Cherry Sauce as I have done here.




Becky's Pound Cake has truly become my favorite pound cake.

Don't forget to go by Designs by Gollum to see some fabulous recipes that have been shared.

Have a lovely weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Sounds scrumptious, it's printing right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! And it uses five eggs! My hens are really producing right now and I have a refrigerator full! I've got this one bookmarked - it would be perfect for the potluck at Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pound cake, and with fresh strawberries, there is nothing better! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful garden and roses! My mother has a purple vanda just like yours. It should be blooming just about now, in time for Mother's Day. Must try that pound cake recipe soon, always looking for the best. Thank you for linking to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, I feel so honoured that you all enjoy my pound cake recipe this much. Thank you! Yours looks gorgeous. I love how you have it under the cloche rather than a regular cake stand.

    Now I need to go bake one. :-)

    Oh, here is where I originally blogged about the pound cake and some of the various pans I've used to bake it over the years. I didn't mention when I sent you the recipe, but it is very versatile for using in different pans.

    Thanks again for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete