Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Family Room Vignette




Today is Tabletop Tuesday hosted by Marty at A Stroll Through Life. I am always amazed at all the entries each week. It always gets the creative juices flowing.

Today I am sharing a vignette in my family room which is our most used room in our home. This little mahogany Henkle-Harris table holds some of my favorite books, it's a great place to place violets since there is so much natural light coming through and below some cherished photos sent to me by a very dear friend.



The chairs are covered in a Silk plaid. The colors in these chairs are the colors I have used throughout my house, cherry red, lime green and mustard. The pillows have little bees on them and I have a particular fondness for bees and use prints with bees on them throughout my house as well. The Plantation shutters were put in about two years ago and I love them especially when the afternoon sun is shining through.



It's a great place for African Violets since it is flooded with bright light.







I like to keep my most favorite decorating books handy which are all of Charles Faudree's books on decorating in the French Country style. Here I have stacked them to give some heighth to the violet sitting on top. The doily with the rose in the center was crocheted by my Grand Mother many years ago. I also like to use silver birds throughout my house and am particularly fond of these little silver birds. They have a whimsical look about them.


Underneath are another of my favorite decoratoring books by Mary Carol Garrity.



Sitting on top of Mary Carol's books are some treasured photographs and notes from a very dear friend. She has been to several of Mary Carol's Open Houses in Atchison, Kansas at Christmas and during the Spring in Mary Carol's gorgeous home. My friend always took photos and would send them to me. It made me feel as though I had been there too. I thought at one time I would be able to join her on one of Mary Carol's Open House's but unfortunately I was unable to make the trip. Hopefully someday. Never the less, these photographs and notes sent to me by my friend are a real treasure to me and I cherish them as I do her friendship.



This is my tabletop that I am sharing this week. I think I can honestly say that each and every tabletop in my home speaks to me in some way. Please take a look at other participants of Tabletop Tuesday. You won't be disappointed.

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE african violets and yours are gorgeous!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inviting spot! I love your arrangement with the African violets and think I will try something similar on top of my piano. The light in that room would be perfect for them. LOVE using stacks of books to elevate items! And I, too, would LOVE to visit Nell Hill's sometime. I only have two of her books -- so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice vignette. Love the birds and the african violets! I also really like your plaid silk chairs, and your table lamp. Very pretty setting all around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunning vignette! I absolutely love your silk plaid chairs! Everything is just so inviting, truly a charming look.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post says "home" to me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charming!!! Which might be because you have used some of my favorite things -- old lace, African Violets, Henkel-Harris furniture, and decorating books, especially Faudree!

    Beautiful. Love those chairs, too -- those are my colors also!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful and so casual, you didn't plan it, did you!
    That's what makes it perfect (and southern) the reality of it!
    one southerner to another,
    dena
    sweet pickles and chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolyn -- your table is outstanding! I love the violets -- I have forgotten how much I like violets.

    There is nothing like Faudree and Garrity (both have the too much is not enough decorating mantra).

    You are so kind i your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. really calming spot. love the African Violets, they were grandmother's favorite plants. Lynda
    http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, what a charming spot! First of all I love the fabric on your chairs! I can imagine sitting here with the sun warming my back! :) Your little table is so nice too. I love the same decorator books as you! When I see African Violets I always think of summertime when I was a child. It seemed each year at Vacation Bible School we would use a little African Violet for one of our crafts.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've enjoyed looking at your blog! Consider me you newest follower :)

    I live in Kansas City and LOVE going to Mary Carol's store, Nell Hill's. Every room is absolutely stunning. And her paint colors are to die for!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete