Thursday, April 15, 2010

Spaghetti a La Bruzzi

A very sweet young friend inadvertently reminded me of this dish that I have often prepared. We have a favorite Italian restaurant in our neck of the woods that does a house dish called Spaghetti a La Bruzzi. It is a wonderful dish of linguine, red sauce, sauteed mushrooms, mixed together and topped with mozzarella cheese and then baked in the oven.

This is my version and my family loves it. The grand kidlets can't eat enough of it so it very often appears on my menu when they come to visit. It is a good comfort meal and since the grand kidlets dearly love Italian foods they are a year round pleaser.

Carolyn's Spaghetti a La Bruzzi

The sauce will make enough for two 9X13 inch pans. I always freeze the remaining sauce for another day.

2 tablespoons good olive oil
2 pounds ground round
1 large onion or 2 small onions, chopped
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
2 28-ounce cans Whole Peeled Italian Tomato's
1 28-ounce can Italian Tomato Puree
1 12-ounce can Tomato Paste
1 tablespoon oregano, dried
1 tablespoon basil, dried
1 teaspoon thyme, dried
1 Bay Leaf
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup Parmesan cheese

1 pound Portobello Mushrooms,sliced
2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
a little olive oil

1 pound Linguine

1/2 pound good mozzarella, grated

In a 5 quart heavy pot on medium heat brown ground round and onions in olive oil until meat is brown and onions are tender. Add garlic and saute for about two minutes. Add tomato puree and liquid from the whole peeled tomato's. Lower the heat to simmer.

In a blender puree the whole tomato's one can at a time and then add to beef mixture. Next add the oregano, basil, thyme, bay leaf, sugar and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and simmer for about two hours on a very low heat.

In the meantime, saute the Portobello Mushrooms in two tablespoons of butter with a little added olive oil.

Using a 5 quart pot,season the pasta water with salt (I use a French Herbed Sea Salt) and a little olive oil. Cook the pound of Linguine until al dente and drain completely in a colander. Do not run water over the pasta.

In a very large bowl mix all of the above ingredients, only 1/2 of the meat sauce, mushrooms, and pound of Linguine. Mix well.

Place in a 9X13 inch dish. Top with grated mozzarella cheese and bake at 350* until the cheese is browned.

Serve with a salad and crusty bread.

I use a 5-quart Le Crueset cast iron pot.





This sauce will make enough for two 9X13 inch pans of Baked Spaghetti but if you only want one pan then freeze the rest of the sauce for another time. It freezes beautifully.




The cheese browns nicely and everything is cooked so it only takes 30 minutes to bake it.





It is a delicious comforting dinner and children love it. Served with crusty bread, it is the perfect paring.



Note: sometimes I add a little Chianti to the sauce if I am not serving it to the grand kidlets.

It is Foodie Friday
hosted by Michael Lee West. So cruise on over to her blog and enjoy other participants in Foodie Friday. You won't be sorry since there are a lot of fabulous recipes posted for this Foodie Friday.

Have a wonderful weekend.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh-
    what a great recipe.
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    I am a follower, so I plan to get caught up on my reading this weekend.

    Laura

    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!! I am for sure making this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have ever had baked spaghetti! I know my grandkids would love it too! Thanks!
    Rainey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cam over to thank you for visiting us and your very sweet comment, but I have to tell you that I just love the picture of your home- it looks so welcoming and just "feels" like a home should. I have a son who lives in Florida with our 2 grandchildren and I so wish we could see them more often. I hope you visit us again. We're hoping to do our very first giveaway in the next week or so- and of course it will have to be something Italian! I'm off to browse your blog!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like something that would quickly become a favorite-thanks! Love your chicken tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks and sounds really good! Thank you for the recipe.
    I look forward to seeing your roses as it will be awhile before mine bloom.

    Take care,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was the restaurant you visited "Mom and Dad's"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Been going there for 40 years, Bruzzi was my fav and homemade bread, closed the doors for good this month, they are retiring😢🤬

      Delete