Wednesday, January 20, 2010

YaYa Dinner Club



Last Thursday I hosted my first YaYa Dinner Club. I had read about a group of women in Birmingham, AL who have been getting together since college and have now had their club going for twenty years. Welllllll, I decided that there was no time like the present and we aren't getting any younger. So I checked with ten of my closest and dearest friends and they loved the idea.

I chose to be the first hostess and decided upon an Italian themed dinner and table setting. To seat that many people I chose to have it in my dining room. This may seem a more formal spot to have a most informal dinner but it worked for me.



I used my Vietri Contrada dinner plates, Vietri Foglia salad plates, the wine glasses are a recent purchase with pinecones etched on them (I don't even know who makes them???) and next to the wine is just a plain clear glass Lenox pattern. I used my hotel silver and to the left of the dinner plates are small square plates made by Cassafina that I used for dipping oil with some fresh herbs from the garden.



Since the wine glass had the etched pinecones, I also used my brass acorn napkin rings. The tablecloth and napkins are Vintage Jacquard from William Sonoma in a natural color.



When having a dinner party I always use fresh flowers and I do my own arrangements. Doing my arrangements is a stress relief for me.



I was unable to find any kind of sunflowers at this time of year so I chose to use the bright colors of Italy. My candle holders were a purchase from one of my favorite shopping spots, Boxwoods in Atlanta. I thought they had a vintage look to them and I love filling them with Green Split Peas for a little added color.





On the sideboard is the dessert that I had made, Giadia's Chocolate Amaretti Cake. This was an amazing dessert, easy to put together and it was delicious with a touch of orange zest. Chocolate and orange is a wonderful combination. I didn't get a close up of it but I used a large garden cloche to cover the cake stand and it made for a pretty presentation.



One of my most loved possessions is my Swarosvski Crystal Chandelier and it's on a dimmer. With red walls the crystals bounce off the red and makes for a beautiful space. In the corner of the dining room is a handpainted Vietri piece sitting on a mahogany fern stand.



A good time was had by all but the one thing that was most remembered was the dessert. I should mention that I did some freshly whipped cream laced with a little Amaretto. A little dollop of that on each slice and it put this dessert over the top.

Chocolate Amaretti Cake
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup baby amaretti cookies (about 2 ounces)
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
4 large eggs
Unsweetened cocoa powder, for sifting
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a 9-inch springform pan the nonstick spray. Refrigerate. Microwave the chocolate until melted and smooth, stirring every 20 seconds, for about 1 minute.

Combine the almonds and cookies in processor. Pulse until the almonds and cookies are finely ground. Transfer the nut mixture to a medium bowl. Add the butter and sugar to the processor and blend until creamy and smooth. Add the grated orange peel and pulse briefly, until incorporated. Add the eggs 1 at a time. Blend until the eggs are incorporated. Clean the sides of the mixing bowl and blend again. Add the nut mixture and melted chocolate. Pulse until blended. Clean the sides of the bowl. Blend again.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the center puffs and a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes.

Transfer the cake to a platter. Sift the cocoa powder over and serve.

I am joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday.

22 comments:

  1. Just stunning. I so love all of your beautiful dishes and all of your accessory pieces are just beautiful. Your menu sounds just fabulous and that cake sound totally devine. I love that you used a cloche for the cover. I love doing that. Your dining room is beautiful. What a fun idea and such a pretty setting. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!
    That is so neat that you started your dinner group!
    My mom has had a weekly dinner with her girlfriends for about 22 years now.
    Wonderful!
    Enjoy your new group!
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun having dinner just the girls! Your table is lovely and the chandy. .well, I would love to have it in my DR. Be sure to stop by for the Giveaway.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Especially like the candles and the colorful flower centerpiece.
    You've created a lovely table.
    I'm gonna have to try your recipe!
    It sounds awesome.
    Have a sweet day and hope you'll come by for a visit.
    d from homehaven

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful tablesetting. But yours always are. And I almost bought that same tablecloth and napkins but didn't . . . and now I'm sorry I didn't! Everything is so beautiful! I'm sure everyone had a grand time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how fun! What a wonderful way to spend a delightful evening with the ya ya's laughing and dining at this delightful table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a lovely table! A perfect ya ya evening.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks lovely! so, which chair is mine? :)

    have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun idea to have a dinner group like this!! The greens with the yellows are great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous idea! I Love how your candles are sitting in split peas! This is why I love blogs... so I can learn crazy and creative new things every day from wonderful gals like you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you, starting a dinner club and what a treat for your guests to enjoy your beautiful tablescape and yummy food. I love the hurricane candle holders and great idea to use split peas in them - I might use that one!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so smart to start the dinner group--It is so easy to lose track and stay too busy for friends. I think we have to make it a priority--and what a fun way to do it. Your table is gorgeous. That chandelier is stunning--really!! Love your dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful tablesetting,and you have a beautiful home!!....Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your tablescape. Mine is Vietri today as well. And I have the same tablecloth and napkins! Small world. Your dining room is gorgeous.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely tablescape! Your flowers are beautiful. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I took time with this post, and clicked on each picture to get the true feeling for your table. It is gorgeous! The floral centerpiece is a work of art, and the bright colors are pure happiness. Your dining room is just wonderful.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds fantastic. And what a lovely way to dine. Thanks for sharing! I love Giada.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous table...love the pine cone wine glasses and oh, those plates!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like a great tradition you've begun! Your centerpiece is lovely; you'll have to offer us some tips on flower arranging!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh that table is just beautiful! I love this idea for a YaYa Dinner Club. I really miss having more interaction with girlfriends. It seems we are all so busy raising babies and keeping house. Can I just tell you that I am DEFINITELY going to make the Chocolate Amaretti Cake! Orange, chocolate, & almond ahhhh killer combo of flavors ;-) I love Giada too. Love your blog. There is just something so comforting about-- ok saying this in a whisper-- southern gals blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i seen ya ya and had to check you out! my favorite movie is ya ya sisterhood..i think it is so awesome you hosted a party that celebrates friendship...very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea, to host a party like this. And wonderful setting for it, too! I also loved this movie --didn't read the book but should!

    I love the interiors in the movie -- in one bedroom, there is a white lamp, and I have its TWIN! I was so excited when I saw it. :-)
    Cass

    ReplyDelete