Friday, January 8, 2010

Baby It's Cold Outside



It is so cold throughout most of the country so today I will share a recipe for White Bean Soup that I made recently. I love a good bean soup and one with lots of flavor. I happen to see this recipe in the most recent catalog of William Sonoma. I must say that I thought it to be an excellent Bean Soup and the best part is that it is so quick and easy.

Today I am joining Foodie Friday hosted by Designs by Gollum.

I often find that many of the recipes in WS's catalogs are very good.



This soup went together so easily and it was very quick too. There are several ingredients that make it a very flavorful soup.



It was a great dinner served with some crusty bread on a cold winter evening.



To put it over the top I drizzled a little Black Truffle Oil on my soup. My DH doesn't care for Black Truffle Oil so I drizzled some really good Olive Oil on his with a sprinkle of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on top.



White Bean Soup

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup chopped Pancetta
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 each carrot and celery stalk, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 cans (each 15 oz.) cannellini beans, drained
5 cups chicken broth
3/4 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

In 3 1/2-qt. Dutch oven over medium heat, warm 2 Tbs. oil. Cook pancetta 5 minutes. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add beans, broth and thyme; simmer over low heat 10 minutes. Off heat puree with immersion blender until smooth. Stir in cheese, salt and black pepper.

Serves 6

Another Note: I also added about a tsp. of Poulet Demi-Glace that I get from WS for a little added flavor. I thought this soup to be excellent.

To see other fabulous recipes of other participants, stop by Designs by Gollum by clicking here. Enjoy

3 comments:

  1. Be still my stomach! This looks so good but my hubby would never eat it. I have a file of things to try when hubby is out of town, this is being sent directly to that file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolyn! Happy New Year!
    This soup looks wonderful! We've been eating lots of soups and beans lately! I'm one happy girl.
    Hope you're staying warm!
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like nice comfort food for a chilly southern day!

    ReplyDelete