Friday, July 29, 2016

What do you do with over ripe bananas???

Why you make banana bread, of course. This is a recipe that was given to me many years ago by a dear friend and I have used it over and over again. Tweaking it a little along the way but it is delicious. Mr. Picky Eater loves it with his morning orange juice and bowl of fruit. Anytime that happens then I am making it all the time.
 
What's not to like, walnuts or pecans, a drizzle of honey atop the bread and included in the recipe is buttermilk. Everything baked takes on a excellent taste with the tang of buttermilk.
 
Getting all your ingredients together is important. Mixing the dry and wet ingredients separately is equally as important because a banana bread should not be over mixed. It will become tough and not as tasty to eat.


My Favorite Banana Bread

2 ripe, medium bananas, mashed
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 325*. Grease and flour a loaf pan. ( I use Pam for baking) Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Transfer to the prepared pan. Bake until the top is golden brown and splits slightly. About 1 hour and 20 minutes.

I always put a drizzle of honey over the top. It gives it a nice little crunch when you bite in. This banana bread also freezes beautifully.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The honey doesn't need to cover the top just a little back and forth drizzle.
It's moist, yummy and keeps for several days if properly covered. However, it really doesn't last long in our house.
I barely get it cut when it's devoured. Mr. Picky Eater hides his.

I am linking this post to Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee at Rattlebridge Farm.

1 comment:

  1. I like to make banana bread if I have over-ripe bananas - I always have a one or two in the freezer waiting for enough to get baking. Thank you for posting your recipe. It's quite a bit different from the one I've been using. Change is good and I am always up for trying a new version of an old favourite.

    ReplyDelete