Thursday, July 21, 2016

HELP, I'm a Chocoholic


I am such a Chocoholic but my Mr. Picky Eater refuses to eat anything with chocolate. I crave chocolate cake but it just doesn't make sense to make a whole cake since I would be inclined to eat the whole thing and that's not good. Wellllllllll, I decided to roll the dice and I will share with family to avoid eating the entire cake.
Over a period of time I had found several chocolate cake recipes that I wanted to try which I did and now have combined a couple of things from each recipe and I believe I have come up with the perfect chocolate cake. I  tried one with whipped cream between layers which I think is called "Perfect Chocolate Cake", while it was very good it was a little too decadent for me. Then I tried one with a cream cheese layer in the middle of a bundt cake and that too was a little over the top for me.
This one was delicious, a chocolate sour cream pound cake with a very simple chocolate ganach.

"Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake"

1 cup unsalted butter
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla

Before beginning bring the eggs and sour cream to room temperature. Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350 degrees F. Spray the bundt pan with Pam cooking spray for baking.

In a small saucepan, combine the butter, cocoa powder, salt, and water and place over medium heat. Cook, stirring, just until melted and combined. Remove from heat and set aside. Let it cool a bit.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking soda. Add half of the melted butter mixture and whisk until completely blended. The mixture will be thick. Add the remaining butter mixture and whisk until combined. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking until completely blended. Whisk in the sour cream and the vanilla extract. Whisk until smooth.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes and then invert onto a rack. Let cool completely before glazing.

For the ganache:
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream

In a small saucepan mix the two ingredients. On low heat melt the chocolate chips stirring constantly. Let the ganache cool completely and then slowly drizzle it over the cake.

My Notes: A tip really, I keep an oven thermometer in my double ovens at all times. I have  fairly new Wolf ovens but it has been my experience that no oven comes up to the proper temperature when it signals that it is at the right temperature. Especially with baking, I don't leave anything to chance. Keeping a thermometer in my ovens at all times has served me well.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It does not fill up the pan but it will rise to the top making a beautiful Bundt cake.

This ganache could not be more simple and I used a combination of semi-sweet morsels and milk chocolate morsels. With the hope of course, that Mr. Picky Eater would give it a try as well and he did and loved the cake. YAH!!!! I may finally be winning him over to the dark side.

 
This made the perfect amount for a ganache to go over this cake.

The sour cream in this cake made it lighter, moister and it kept well for several days. Satisfied my chocolate craving too, much to my delight. It is a delicious cake and I hope you will try this recipe if you get a chocolate craving as I often do.


I am sharing this post for Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee at Rattlebridge Farm. To see other wonderful recipes shared please click HERE.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Carolyn, your cake looks so good. Now I want to make that recipe too! I hope everything is going well for you and you are enjoying the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, your cake looks delicious! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, your cake looks delicious! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just spent quite a while, actually I lost track of time, perusing your blog. Adding you to my Bloglovin list, great recipes!!

    ReplyDelete