Friday, February 6, 2015

Potato Leek Soup

I love a good Potato Leek Soup during the winter months and we have been having freezing temperatures in the evening, warming up during the day but by dinner you just can't beat a good hot soup. It's warm and very satisfying. This is a soup recipe that comes from one of my "go to" cookbooks for superb food, Dorie Greenspan, Around My French Table.
 
Leek and Potato Soup,
 smooth or chunky, hot or cold
 
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large onion, preferably Spanish, chopped (or 1-2 more leeks)
2 garlic cloves, split, germ removed, and thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
3 leeks, white and light green parts only, split lengthwise, washed, and thinly sliced
1 large Idaho (russet) potato, peeled and cubed
6 thyme sprigs
2 fresh sage leaves (optional)
4 cups chicken broth (or water)
3 cups whole milk (or water)
 
Optional Toppings
 
Minced fresh parsley, sage, tarragon, or marjoram, or a combination
Snipped fresh chives
Grated Parmesan or Gruyere
Croutons
Truffle Oil
 
Melt the butter in a Dutch oven or soup pot over low heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir until they glisten with butter, then season with salt and white pepper, cover, and cook for about 10 minutes, until the onion is soft but not colored.
 
Add the remaining ingredients, along with a little more salt, increase the heat, and bring to a boil. As soon as the soup bubbles, turn the heat to low mostly cover the pot, and simmer gently for 30 to 40 minutes, or until all the vegetables are mashably soft. Taste the soup and season generously with salt and white pepper.
 
You've got many choices now: you can ladle the soup into warmed bowls and serve as is, mash the vegetables lightly with the back of a spoon, or puree the soup through a food mill (my first choice-you'll get a more interesting texture) or with a blender- regular or immersion-or food processor. If desired, garnish with the topping of your choice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Notes: I did use the sage, chicken broth and whole milk and also used an immersion blender.
 
 
 
Prepped and ready to begin. I love the fragrance of leeks and always enjoy a soup using fresh herbs picked from my garden. Prepping was a little time consuming but well worth the effort.
 


This was a simple but elegant soup and I chose to top with freshly grated Cheddar Cheese with a slight drizzle of black truffle oil. The truffle oil gives it a little flavor boost and is delicious. I think my photo would have been enhanced by a sprinkling of chives which I do have in my garden but by the time this was done, I was ready to try it ASAP.

 
I have never prepared anything from this book that I did not like and this soup is no exception. Even "Mr. Picky Eater" enjoyed it. Pared with a simple salad and crusty bread, a feast on a cold evening. It's always good to have an exceptional Leek and Potato Soup recipe in your repertoire. Dorie talks in the book in more detail about the versatility of this soup, the different add ins and also whether to serve hot or cold, so many choices to make it your own.
 
I am linking to Rattlebridge Farm for Foodie Friday and looking forward to checking out other wonderful recipes submitted. 

2 comments:

  1. There's nothing like soup on a damp and foggy west coast evening. I haven't made a leek and potato soup for many years. This one looks very good, and I love the idea of a drizzle of Truffle Oil. I'll be your kitchen smelled wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, you know I am a soup lover. I cant think of anything better in the evening than a good bowl of soup. I just got my seed potatoes. getting them ready for planting next week.

    Would love to see you this month at Brown's if you can make it. Youa re absolutely right about my Meyer lemons :-)

    Velva

    ReplyDelete