Sunday, February 22, 2015

An Easy Dinner

I think most all of us are always looking for a delicious but yet simple chicken dish. This recipe definitely fit the bill and truly an inexpensive dish as well. An easy dinner but yet worthy of dinner party fare in my opinion, Chicken Cutlets With Herbed Mushroom Sauce.
I came across this recipe in the most recent issue of Southern Living magazine and decided to give it a try. I had two chicken breast halves and this would have served four. When I said it was economical , yes it is and I always enjoy using fresh herbs from my Herb Garden.

Chicken Cutlets With Herbed Mushroom Sauce

2 (8-ounce) skinned and boned chicken breasts
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 cup canola oil, divided
1 (8-ounce) package fresh button mushrooms, quartered
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 fresh sage sprigs
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons butter
Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs

Halve each chicken breast lengthwise to form 4 cutlets. Place each cutlet between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using a rolling pin or flat side of a meat mallet. Discard plastic. Sprinkle salt and pepper over both sides of chicken.

Place flour in a shallow dish, and stir in chopped thyme and rosemary. Dredge chicken in flour mixture; shake off excess. Cook 2 cutlets in 4 1/2 teaspoon hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove cutlets from pan, and repeat procedure with 4 1/2 teaspoon oil and remaining 2 dredged cutlets.

Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to drippings in skillet; add mushrooms, and sauté over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes or until browned and all moisture evaporates. Stir in vinegar, and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Stir in broth and sage; bring to a boil. Boil until liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Remove from heat; stir in mustard. Whisk in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Spoon sauce over cutlets.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------

 I used baby Portobello's since I think they have much more flavor and sliced them rather than cutting them in half. I thought it gave it a more appealing presentation.

Pared with rice and a simple sauté of fresh spinach it makes for a delicious dinner.
 I hope you will try this dish and oh have I mentioned that the sauce is absolutely amazing. The Dijon mustard gives it a really special flavor.
  I am sharing this post at Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee at Rattlebridge Farm. Click HERE to enjoy other shared recipes.



1 comment:

  1. That does look really good!

    I thought it would be hot in Florida by now.We are going to Charleston in a couple of weeks...hoping for nice weather.

    The book you asked about is a lovely book from Norway that some of my photos are in so Franciska kindly sent me a copy. There is a bit about it on my blog post here http://warrengrovegarden.blogspot.ca/2011/06/sneak-preview-of-beautiful-new-book.html if you would like more info.

    Enjoy your garden and your cooking as well.
    Thanks for your visit.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete