Wednesday, August 1, 2012

A Great Pasta Salad

A few weeks ago one of my favorite blogs, From a Writer's Kitchen posted a recipe for her mother's Pasta Salad. I love a good pasta salad especially during the summer. I like to keep a pasta salad in the refrigerator over the weekends so I have a "go to" lunch, light dinner or even a mid day snack already prepared. I saw this recipe and it was very different from how I usually make a pasta salad. I almost always use just mayonaise, Hellman's only, in mine and I do admit, it tastes so much heavier. I also add everything I have in the refrigerator but the kitchen sink and think that all the different flavors are competing. After seeing this I thought it sounded fantastic and wanted to give it a try.




Pasta Salad

2 cups small elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
1/2 cup finely diced celery
1/2 cup minced red onion
2 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 cup of mixed cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3/4 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp superfine sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp cider vinegar
3 Tbsp sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl.

Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until well blended. Toss with the pasta.

Refrigerate, covered, for several hours before serving.

**************************************************


This was absolutely delicious and I loved having fewer ingredients. Less mayonaise than I would have normally used and the sour cream gave it a nice little tang. Strangely enough I always keep superfine sugar in my pantry because I use it in summer cocktails and using just that little bit of sugar offset the bite of the vinegar.


An excellent Pasta Salad and I plan to make it again for the weekend. I highly recommend this salad and I am so appreciative that this recipe was shared. I think that often the simpliest of things are the BEST.

I am linking my post to Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum. You can click HERE to see a wealth of tried and true recipes that have been shared.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. Like you, I try to have a pasta salad in the fridge in the summer - it's so good for stretching a meal if there is unexpected company. I like to add smoked chicken breast to mine for a complete lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you made and enjoyed my mother's pasta salad. It's a dish that we all enjoy and I don't make it often enough. I plan to rectify that and have already made it three times this summer. The last time, I added a cup of cheddar cheese to give us a bit of protein. It was delicious!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both ideas are excellent and this week I may add both. YUM!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds really delicious!
    gonna be needing all those COOL summertime recipes now that I'm moving back to Pensacola!!
    this weekend!
    hugs!
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I copied and pasted Bonnie's recipe when I saw it too but still haven't tried it. Good to know how delicious it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your recipes and this pasta salad is just what I need for this week. I too, live in SW Florida and am always looking for recipes that I do not have to turn on the oven this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhhh I love your recipes that you've shared. I love a good pasta salad and this sounds great. Its good to know that you tried Ina's herbed fish in parchment, too. Simple and great, isn't it? I'm your newest follower :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, This sounds good. Thanks for sharing. I am pinning this to my favorite recipes. I am sure it will soon become a favorite.
    thanks for sharing. Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your vignette is lovely, but I do have one suggestion. The picture of your three children needs to be lowered into the grouping. It is too high.

    ReplyDelete