Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Gratin of Potatoes, Tomatoes, and Tarragon

I am always looking for new and different vegetable recipes and this particular recipe was delicious. The recipe comes from a book by one of my favorite cookbook authors, Anna Pump. This is her most recent book published in 2008, Summer on a Plate. Anna stresses that the recipes are what she calls "no-fuss recipes" but yet delicious.


I have enjoyed this book so much as I do all of her books.

Gratin of Potatoes, Tomatoes, and Tarragon

2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold or any other firm yellow potato
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
1 1/2 pounds tomatoes, sliced
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup Chicken Stock
1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese

Cut potatoes in half, place in a large saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cook 15 minutes until potatoes feel tender. Drain and cool. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice the potatoes and set aside.

Place a skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil, and saute' the onion and garlic, stirring often, for 10 minutes. Stir in the tarragon.

Butter a 2-quart metal casserole. Heat the grill to medium.

Layer the bottom of the casserole with half the potatoes. Cover that with a layer of sliced tomaatoes and sprinkle with half of the salt and pepper. Spread the onion-tarragon mixture over it all. Place the final layer of potatoes on top and season with the remaining salt and pepper. Drizzle chicken stock and olive oil over the potatoes and top with cheese. Place the casserole on the grill, close the lid, and bake for 30 minutes. Serve hot.

* To bake, preheat the oven to 375* F and bake the casserole for 30 minutes.

*I know the instructions say to close the grill lid, but the casserole itself, inside the grill or the oven, should not be covered. If it is, the cheese will not crisp or brown and the casserole will not cook properly.
--------------------------------------------------

My notes: I chose to bake this in the oven and because I used Yukon Gold Potatoes I didn't even peel them. They have such a thin skin so I thought, "Why peel them?"


This was so very good, fresh ingredients, simple to put together and I loved the use of the tarragon. An easy but yet elegant paring for most any grilled meats.


If you try this recipe you won't be disappointed. If you don't have tarragon in your garden most groceries stores do carry it however, it is a very easy herb to grow and I dearly love the licorice fragance. Tarragon can also be used steeped as a tea for a tummy issue as well and has a lovely little golden bloom that I use as a garnish.

I hope each of you who take the time to visit are enjoying your day. We are getting ready to have a much needed shower, thankfully. My garden really needs it.

I am linking this post to Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.







4 comments:

  1. Lovely recipe! I was just thinking about a salad of grilled tomatoes, potatoes, corn and asparagus tonight.:)

    Jackie@Syrup and Biscuits

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tarragon too! What a wonderful pairing of ingredients and a dish that would be great for a gathering of friends or family for a BBQ. I'm saving this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a beautiful summer recipe! Love the swiss in it, a nice change from cheddar:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a recipe like this, with such a lot of flavour and so little fuss. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete