Monday, May 7, 2012

A Passion for Orchids

A few weeks ago in our area I attended the annual Orchid Show. At this show there are flower arrangement displays but also vignettes to show the many varieties of orchids and some assembled in the way they would grow in the wild.

A beautiful arrangement done with nothing but orchids. Unfortunately my photo had a lot to be desired and did not do it justice.


I was surrounded by the natural beauty of these amazing plants.



This was the most incredible orchid I had ever seen, a cymbidium. What many of us remember fondly as a corsage orchid but this color was just stunning.




There were also some for sale and me, wellllllllllllll I couldn't resist adding to my collection. Some of my favorites that I saw displayed were not available for sale so this one above didn't come home with me but certainly one similar.


This particular one I placed beside my husband's morning chair where he reads his morning paper. It is sitting on an antique English Pub table that I have had for many years and this is my husband's favorite table. If only this table could talk for I'm sure it would tell of many rousing tales.



This one came very close to my favorite orchid on display at the Orchid Show. It too is a cymbidium, not as deep of a raspberry color but close and it also extremely fragrant.

I am also very fond of those pansy faced orchids and two of those came home with me. This one in the same room.




In another room a darker version of the pansy like orchid. Sitting atop an antique English Pie Crust table.




Behind the couch, a phalanopsis.


   When my daughter saw them she said to me, "WOW, it looks like you had a good time at the Orchid Show." Yes I did.

I am linking this post to Tabletop Tuesday hosted by Marty at A Stroll through Life. Thank your for visiting my blog and I appreciate each and every comment.



7 comments:

  1. beautiful Post!!
    I find Orchids so very intriguing..
    some remind me of religious figures with headdresses and robes..
    I take many photos of them..never tiring of their delicate beauty and exotic colors!
    hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a few people who have a passion for orchids-no doubt a fun day exploring new varieties, and coming home with a few too. Awesome.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn -- your new orchids are beautiful. I have one of the pansies but have not been successful in getting it to rebloom! I simply adore your orchids and your pictures are spectacular as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does, indeed, look like you had fun at the orchid show! I love orchids and buy a beauty once or twice a year. I have never been able to achieve another blooming - what a thrill that would be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my how totally gorgeous. I think they are all so stunning and you have them displayed so beautifully. I just can't seem to keep them alive. I am sure you enjoy them very much. Thanks tons for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful they are! I'm so glad that pretty one came home with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your orchids are beautiful. I wish I had a green thumb with my orchid...I am not quite sure what it really needs, but I keep trying!
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete