Thursday, May 10, 2012

Baked Tomatoes and Artichokes

I am a cookbook addict , there really needs to be some kind of program for obsessively buying cookbooks since I am fast running out of room to house them . However, with each new purchase I do try to cook from each book . One of my most recent purchases was The Tuscan Sun Cookbook written by Frances Mayes and Edward Mayes . I had never heard of this book before but on a recent visit to Books a Million it caught my eye . I am immediately drawn to Italian cookbooks since it is my favortie type of food .



This is a wonderful book filled with more recipes that I would like to try . The first recipe that caught my eye though was Baked Tomatoes and Artichokes .

Baked Tomatoes and Artichokes

serves 6
1 Red Bell Pepper, cut into thin strips
2 9-ounce boxes frozen Artichoke Hearts, thawed
4 tomatoes, diced
1 yellow onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
1 handful of flat-leaf parsley, minced
3 tablespoons capers

Preheat the oven to 350* F.

In a large bowl, toss together the pepper strips, artichokes, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil . Season with half of the salt and pepper, and all of the thyme . Empty this into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish . Roasted uncovered in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the onions and peppers are tender .

In a small bowl, mix the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil with the vinegar, the rest of the salt and pepper, and the parsley and capers to make a dressing .

Remove the vegetables from the oven, and pour the dressing over them . Return the dish to the oven to warm for 5 more minutes. Serve immediately or at room temperature .
----------------------------------------------



This was absolutely delicious and a recipe that I will definitely prepare again and again . I had made this to go with a Family Meatloaf recipe since I thought it would pare nicely and meatloaf does need something special to make the menu special . This was it!!!!!



I had never used frozen artichokes and was pleasantly surprised at the flavor . I used medium sized tomatoes and their juices went right in too . Since my husband and I were babysitting some of our grands that evening so their Mom and Dad could go to a Kentucky Derby party I thought it would be a "good thing" to bring this dinner . They all absolutely loved this vegetable dish and are still raving about how good it was . I thought so and I was very pleased that everyone else thought so too . Thats always an ego booster when you please everyone at the table .



This is a vegetable dish that would be wonderful when entertaining friends, on a buffet since it can be served at room temperature and the combination of flavors were excellent . I used fresh thyme and parsley from my Herb garden, such a "feel good thing" when you can snip herbs for a dish from your own garden but I feel quite certain that the dried thyme would be just as delicious .

I am sharing this recipe on Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee West at Designs by Gollum .

I hope you will try this vegetable dish, you won't be disappointed . A simple dish but oh so very good .

7 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful...I am going to keep my eye out for the cookbook. I loved the book! And the movie! I bet this is good a room temp, too! Thanks so much!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so fortunate to receive this very same cookbook as a gift. I have yet to try this recipe.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Yum! This sounds like a perfect summer dish -it reminds me of the movie, Under the Tuscan Sun where she brings out all these beautiful Italian dishes to feed her crew!
    I'll definitely look for this book, I have the same problem, and give this a try!
    Thank you for sharing,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound delicious! What a great vegetable side for entertaining. I'd love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, this sounds and looks wonderful! How fun that your family loved it so much, and I agree, that is the best feeling! This would be so good with any grilled meat too I think. My sister loves artichokes and I will remember this recipe for when she comes to visit. Thank you for sharing this!

    Francie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, this looks wonderful and so easy to put together. It will be coming to a family gathering next Saturday night. Thank you Carolyn -- and now I am of to order this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to learn a recipe like this which can be made from ingredients that can largely be bought ahead for when needed. You're right about meat loaf (and so many other comfort foods that we love). They do need something to spice them up on the side!
    And....perhaps we'll have to start our own 12-step program for cookbook addicts!

    ReplyDelete