Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A delicious Summer Salad

I've had many Cucumber Salad's but I want to share my version . It is light , delicious , and goes well with so many summer dishes . It also makes a perfect picnic salad as well since there is no mayonnaise .


Cucumber Salad

2 seedless cucumbers, unpeeled and thinly sliced (English of hothouse varieties)
3 plum tomatoes, sliced thin
1 small red onion or half a large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place the sliced cucumbers , sliced tomatoes , and sliced red onion in a bowl . Salt to taste . Set aside for 15 minutes giving them an occasional stir to distribute the salt .

Combine the vinegar , dill , sugar , and pepper in a bowl . Stir until the sugar has completely dissolved . Add the vinaigrette to the vegetable mixture and chill for at least 15 minutes or up to two hours . Transfer to a serving bowl .
-------------------------------------------



I love the combination of these flavors and the fresh dill is a key ingredient . Whether you have it growing in your herb garden as I do or most grocery stores these days have fresh dill as well but fresh dill is a "must" flavor ingredient . The unpeeled cucumbers gives this salad a nice fresh color along with the dill . 




I always place this salad in a clear glass serving piece so one can see the beautiful combination of colors . This pedestal piece is very old and belonged to my mother . I served it this past weekend with some Bar B Que Pulled Pork Sandwiches and this made for an excellent side . You know us Southerners , we have to have our Bar B Que anytime .



If you have never had a Cucumber Salad you will enjoy this one . So easy and it pares nicely with so many summer foods . I hope you will try it and Enjoy .

5 comments:

  1. I have cucumbers coming out of all directions in my garden-Definitely looking for new ideas. Thanks!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Une salade qui me semble délicieuse et si fraîche... cela doit être un véritable régal... je dois essayer ça!
    Merci et gros bisous à vous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try your additions (the tomatoes and dill) -- cucumber salad is one of those flavors of salad (wilted lettuce is another) that is part of my childhood and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful salad. I can just imagine it with fresh dill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so refreshing and what a wonderful salad to serve all summer long -- it goes with just about anything grilled or smoked, and is easy to put together for a summertime meal. Thank you, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete