Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Plantation Pecan Pie

One evening last week one of the twin grandsons called and told me his class was doing a Thanksgiving dinner in their classroom two days before Thanksgiving. He told his class and his teacher very loudly apparently, "MY Gigi can cook". Thankfully he didn't volunteer me to do the entire meal. He did however ask me if I would bake a Pecan Pie for their class celebration. You gotta love a young man who loves his Gigi's cooking, how do you say NO to that even if you are busy?????


This is the Pecan Pie recipe that I have been making for many many years. It is also the recipe that appears in our Junior League cookbook that I worked on many years ago as well and this pie is always served as one of several desserts in our home for Thanksgiving.

Plantation Pecan Pie

8 servings

3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pecans, halves or broken pieces
1 9-inch pie pastry, unbaked

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, salt and vanilla extract until well blended.

Arange pecans in pie pastry.

Pour egg-sugar mixture into pie pastry; pecans will float to the top.

Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and filling is puffy.

Let pie cool to room temperature before cutting.

-----------------------------------------------

It is amazing to me that whatever design you place the pecans  that is the way they will float to the top after pouring in the egg/sugar mixture. Many people chop pecans to go in the filling and then place the pecans in a design on top of the pie but this is the way I have always done it. It truly is a Southern "thing".

This is such a simple pie to make and is so very delicious. A bought pie crust works very well but if you are more inclined to make your own crust Martha Stewart has a wonderful Pate' Brisse that I use.

Martha's Pate' Brisse

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
2 1/4 sticks (18 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
4 to 6 tablespoons ice water, plus more if needed

Pulse flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor to combine. Add butter, and process until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. With machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream through the feed tube until dough just holds together (no longer than 30 seconds).

Divide dough in half, and shape into disks. Wrap each in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days).

-----------------------------------------------

I am told that the principle of my grandsons school ate some of the pie I had made and asked my daughter- in-law if I would be willing to make some pies for her family for Thanksgiving????? She absolutely LOVED this Pecan Pie and it is so very simple.

My daughter will be making this same recipe for our Thanksgiving dessert table. It is quite simply, DELICIOUS and a family tradition!!!!! My daughter will use this same recipe that I have made for years. Family and traditions, that is what Thanksgiving is all about and I am so very thankful for so many things.


4 comments:

  1. what a sweet story and what a beautiful pie!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Carolyn!

    fondly,
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn -- this looks wonderful and I have real Southern pecans to use to make one -- which I will do soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carolyn...

    Awwww...that is just so cute of your grandson! Sure warms a Grandma's heart...doesn't it! Mmmm...your Plantation Pecan pie looks divine! I sure would love a piece right now! Hehe! Thanks for sharing your recipe with us.

    I just wanted to come by to wish you and your family a blessed and happy Thanksgiving! I hope that you are having a wonderful day with family and friends, dear lady!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute about your grandson ;) I always make apple pie and pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving but would love to try your pecan pie for Christmas.

    Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete