Friday, November 4, 2011

Emeril's Red Beans and Rice

Yesterday a friend asked for a crock pot recipe that I had from another friend. It seems she lost track of the recipe and it was a quick and easy recipe for a working young mom. It reminded me that I had recently prepared Emeril's recipe for Red Beans and Rice and if you have the time it is well worth the time to prepare it. It is absolutely delicious.



Emeril’s Red Beans and Rice


1 pound dried red beans

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 cup chopped yellow onions

1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers

2 tablespoons minced garlic

1/2 pound andouille or other spicy smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon dried thyme

2 bay leaves

One 1-pound ham hock

2 to 2 1/2 quarts Chicken Stock

Cooked hot Rice

In a colander, rinse the beans under cold running water. Discard any broken beans or pebbles. Transfer the beans to a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Soak for at least 8 hours, or overnight. Or, bring the beans and enough water to cover by 2 inches to a boil in a large pot over high heat and cook for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and cover tightly; let stand for 1 hour.

Heat the oil in a large heavy stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the sausage, salt, Essence, cayenne, black pepper, thyme, and bay leaves. Cook, stirring often, until the sausage is browned, about 4 minutes. Add the ham hock and cook for 2 minutes.

Drain the beans and add to the pot. Pour in enough stock to cover by about 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 2 hours. Remove and discard the bay leaves.

Mash about one-fourth of the bean mixture against the side of the pot with a heavy spoon to thicken the juices. Remove the ham hock. Let cool slightly. Slice the meat from the bone, discarding the skin and bones. Return the meat to the pot and heat through.

Spoon the rice into bowls and top with the beans.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

In the Fall I always use my Staub Pumpkin 5 quart cast iron pot and when not in use it is always sitting on my cook top. Probably to remind me that something really yummy needs to be cooked in it.
Because it is lined with a non stick coating nothing sticks to the bottom of the surface. It makes for easy clean up especially when you need to simmer something for several hours.
Pared with some really good corn bread and a Mixed Green Salad it makes for a nice dinner on a cool Fall evening.
Red Beans and Rice originated in  Louisiana and is a New Orleans staple. My original ancestor to this country was a Spanish Conquistador who was one of the early settlers of Florida. When it came time to finding himself a wife he looked no further than New Orleans and took himself a French wife who happened to be a relative of Napoleon Bonaparte. There is my history, Spanish from the northern part of Spain and French from New Orleans. Red Beans and Rice are in my blood and it is sooooooooo very good.  
The andouille sausage has a little heat but not too much. I am one of those people who don't care for too much  heat or overly spicey dishes and the andouille sausage is just perfect. If you have never tried Red Beans and Rice you will enjoy this recipe, typical New Orleans fare.

It's Friday and I am linking this post to Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday. There are many other excellent recipes shared at this blogging party.

7 comments:

  1. Carolyn, it looks yummy and reminds me that next cool day, I should make that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We SO enjoyed red beans and rice in New Orleans...I am excited to see your recipe and even more happy that I can make it in a crock pot! Thanks so much!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've quickly learned that Emeril has wonderful recipes! Yummo! Consider this post pinned!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a recipe that has escaped me as a Northerner, but looks so delicious!! I will be surprising my husband with it next week. The backsplash behind your stove is wonderful...colorful and whimsical...I love it!!! Thanks also for introducing me to the Staub pumpkin...of course I will be keeping my eyes open for one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As this cooler weather makes its official arrival in north Florida, these are the type dishes I crave. Its perfect for entertaining. This is a comforting and soulful one-pot meal.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    P.S. love, love your cast-iron pumpkin pot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm feeling very envious of your Staub cookware, Carolyn! Nothing worse than having to scrub stuck on food after a good meal.

    I got my "Thymes Remembered" cookbook the other day. It has some very beautiful photos of some really pretty tables. Thanks so much for telling me/us about it. I think JL Cookbooks are always the BEST & I'm looking forward to having some time to try out a few of the recipes.

    I hope you like my marinated green beans. They were a big hit with my family.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you & your family. I hope everybody pitches in & helps with clean-up! LOL
    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  7. QUE BUENA CARA TIENE ESA COMIDA.....
    SALUDITOS

    ReplyDelete