Thursday, June 16, 2011

Chicken with Lemon and Potatoes












It is Foodie Friday once again and today I am sharing a very simple, healthy and quick dish that I really enjoyed. It is a recipe that was shared by a very dear friend who is an excellent cook, Glynda.



Chicken with Lemon and Potatoes

1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
6 sprigs fresh thyme

Directions

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Place potatoes and half the butter in a roasting pan; season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing once, until potatoes are golden, 20 to 25 minutes.

Place chicken on top of potatoes; season with salt and pepper. Roast until chicken begins to brown, about 20 minutes.

Scatter asparagus, lemon, remaining butter, thyme around chicken and additional salt and pepper. Roast until asparagus is tender and chicken is opaque throughout, 5 to 15 minutes. Serve chicken, vegetables, and lemon drizzled with pan juices.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Layering this recipe was a key element. I loved the way the potatoes browned and were a little crispy on the outside. It was necessary to cook the chicken breast a little longer and I did not make a note of it on the recipe unfortunately. Let them brown to your desired doneness and the addition of the fresh asparagus made for a one dish meal. I did, however, pare this dinner with some fresh white acre peas that we are enjoying right now in our local area.

A little crusty bread and a good glass of wine made for a perfect dinner for two.

 I think the next time I prepare this dish I will add a little white wine after I add the asparagus. I think it would put it over the top.

There are so many wonderful recipes shared on Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee West. Click here to see those recipes. Our hostess, Michael Lee West, is an author with a new book out, Gone with a Handsomer Man. It looks to be an excellent read.

3 comments:

  1. Carolyn -- you and I are on the same chicken page!!! But your recipe looks better than mine!!! I'll make it the next time I fix chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great dish with all of my favorites - potatoes, chicken and asparagus, all with a little lemon. Yum.

    I'm visiting from Foodie Friday where I saw your chicken just calling my name in the photo. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really yummy! We like this recipe a lot. I made it with chicken thighs...lots of deep flavor.
    Thanks, Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete