Thursday, June 23, 2011

Braised Chicken with Riesling

This is a recipe that was shared by Mary at One Perfect Bite. I think I saw it when she listed her favorite chicken recipes and she always shares fabulous recipes. I made a couple of changes but nothing dramatic. Mainly I just used chicken breasts instead of what the original recipe called for and Baby Portobello's. This was excellent.

Braised Chicken with Riesling


Ingredients:

5 tablespoons unsalted butter

One 3 1/2-pound chicken, quartered

Salt and freshly ground pepper

1 large shallot, minced

2 tablespoons Cognac (optional)

1 cup dry Riesling

6 ounces white mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1/3 cup heavy cream



Directions:

1) Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet. Add chicken, season with saltand pepper and cook over moderate heat until slightly browned, about 4 minutes per side. Add shallot and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add Cognac, if using, and carefully ignite it with a long match. When flames subside, add Riesling, cover and simmer over low heat until chicken breasts are just cooked, about 25 minutes. Transfer breasts to a large plate and cover with foil. Cover and simmer legs until cooked through, about 10 minutes longer. Transfer to plate.

2) Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over low heat until liquid evaporates, about 7 minutes. Increase heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until browned, about 3 minutes.

3) In a bowl, blend flour and remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Stir cream into the large skillet; bring to a simmer. Gradually whisk flour paste into cooking liquid and simmer, whisking, until no floury taste remains, about 3 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Return the chicken to skillet, add mushrooms and briefly reheat. Yield: 4 servings.

My Notes: I feel that the cognac is a MUST. I also used baby portobello's because I feel that they are more flavorful.


My husband who is not a big fan of chicken, can you even imagine that????? However, he loved this dish. I usually serve this kind of dish with Wild Rice but alas, I only had white rice at the time. It was still delicious.


Pared with some crusty bread and a Mixed Green Salad it made for an outstanding dinner and I think definitely dinner party fare.
This was outstanding and will definitely be listed as one of my favorite chicken dishes. I am very happy to add this recipe to my repertoire thanks to Mary.
 
I am joining the blogging party Foodie Friday hosted by Michael Lee West at Designs by Gollum. There are so many other participants of this party with some fabulous recipes to share. You can click HERE to see other participants.

12 comments:

  1. I am sooooo making this dish sometime this week! I just bought a big packet of chicken & saw hubby frown when I unpacked the groceries. He, too, is not a big fan of chicken but I am.

    I also have 5 bottles of Riesling in the house...I only know this because I was searching for a chardonnay recently. *sigh* Didn't have a single bottle of that!!!

    Thank you so much for posting this, as I did not see it on Mary's site.

    fondly,
    Rett

    p.s. Did I tell you I made your meatloaf recipe? It was delicious! I can't remember if I came back to thank you for the recipe but in case, I didn't....THANKS AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary's recipes are always THE BEST!!!! I'll have to make this for it sounds yummy! And I'm having company for lunch on Tuesday -- may just be my entree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound delicious and perfect for a rainy day (which we've had lots of recently) meal when we can't grill. I hope I can substitute Chardonnay since we never drink Riesling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn-You can never go wrong with Mary's recipes! Believe it or not, I am not a huge chicken fan either---unless it is dressed up like this! Please feel free to copy the pictures for your own personal use....or you can just bookmark that page. That is generally what I do. Congrats on your coming grandbaby...today??? "ours" is due on 27th and seems uninterested in meeting us :) Is this your first? Please email me and let me know when the baby is born! My email is on my profile! Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this on Mary's blog too and admired it. Seeing it again reminds me I should make this soon. Happy Foodie Friday.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks tasty. Huey and Miss Scarlet are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This certainly sounds delicious - and I like the idea of the baby portobellos. We just tried a new Riesling this week, so I think it's fate.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you enjoyed the chicken. That is one of my favorite recipes. I'm anxiously awaiting news of that grandchild :-). You must be sitting on pins and needles. Have a wonderful weekend, Carolyn. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I forgot to mention, regarding my chive post, that if your chives are in a shady spot they still may flower. I have one patch of chives that still hasn't flowered yet and it is in more shade.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now this sounds delish! Saved it. Thanks so much for sharing.. Many blessings, marlis

    ReplyDelete

  11. oh.. so nice post.)
    Love your blog.))

    I now spend a survey of bloggers with such questions.
    1. Why did you create a blog?
    2. For whom you taking him? Want to be popular?
    3. How long will it keep going?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Carolyn! this looks fabulous!
    note to self: do not visit Carolyn when hungry;)
    hope you are well my friend. thank you for your very dear comment on the master, and yes, 'welcoming' is a word;), so thank you!!

    fondly,
    joan

    ReplyDelete