Friday, January 21, 2011

Corn and Roasted Red Pepper Chowder

This week my garden circle did a Soup Luncheon after our meeting and guest speaker. Since I was one of the co-hostesses I brought this Corn and Roasted Red Pepper Chowder. It is a recipe that I found in an excellent cookbook, New England Soup Factory Cookbook.

I have had this book for a long time but had never tried this recipe. There were two other women bringing soup so I wanted to bring something a little different. I rarely serve a soup that I have never prepared before but this one was outstanding.



Corn and Roasted Red Pepper Chowder
adapted from New England Soup Factory Cookbook


6 Tbsp. salted butter
2 cups diced onions
1/2 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 to 5 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2" cubes
6 cups chicken stock or broth
2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground bay leaves
3 lbs. frozen or fresh corn kernels
2 cans (16 oz. each) creamed corn
2 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 4 Tbsp. cold water
2 cups light cream
2 cups roasted red peppers, pureed until smooth
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
Kosher salt & black ground pepper to taste


In a stockpot melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes more. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the potatoes soften but don't lose their shape, about 10 minutes. Add the coriander, bay leaves, and corn. Bring back to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.. Add the creamed corn and the cornstarch water mixture. Return to a boil and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cream, red peppers, cilantro, Tabasco sauce, salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a slow simmer for 2 minutes.

Makes 10 to 12 servings


Notes: It doesn't matter if you use frozen corn in this recipe, it's really delicious either way.

I did in fact use frozen corn, I prepared it the day before and I think it made all the ingredients come together and was more flavorful. It does make a very large pot of soup but I do think it can be easily halved.


It went together very easily but was a little labor intensive. The end result was well worth the effort though.

I began with a 5 quart All-Clad pot but realized half way through the process that I needed a much larger  pot so I had to transfer everything into this 8 quart Calaphalon stock pot.
I added a dollop of sour cream to mine and I had taken sour cream and grated Colby cheese if anyone wanted it. It truly stands on it's own though. What I had left over was dinner for Mr. "H" and he really loved this soup also.


I think my garden circle friends enjoyed it as well. We each tried a little of each soup. Other soups that were brought were a Collard Green Soup with Pepperoni and a Chicken and Rice Soup. They were all excellent.

Today I am sharing this post at two blogging parties.
Designs by Gollum and Quit Eating Out.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking to Saturday Swap & thank you for taking the time to visit the other participants. That's super sweet of you!! This recipe sounds SO good.... it's 5* here right now, so you can imagine how awesome a hot pot of soup sounds. Thanks for the tip on needing a BIG pot. That's always a good sign that there will be LOTS of delish soup out of the recipe. :-) Have a super weekend Friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love corn in a soup. I can almost smell this simmering. Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog, I am your newest follower. Look forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound like a wonderful recipe! Delicious and hearty! I think my husband would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn -- this looks fantastic!!!! It will have to be on Linderhof's table soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn, this looks superb, very diffferent from other corn chowders. I am going to try this after I finish all the minestrone that's sitting in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This really sounds like a perfect winter soup. The color alone brings sunshine to the table. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious. I have a red pepper in the fridge waiting to be used. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Carolyn!!
    I always love to visit you- you always have the most delicious looking and sounding recipes! I'm not familiar with the cookbook, but I LOVE soups. I usually make Ina's corn cheddar chowder, but this sounds like a must-try!!

    fondly,
    joan

    p.s. thank you about the chair!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks wonderful! Sounds delicious for a cold winter night!

    ReplyDelete