Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Casual Family Dinner

This past Sunday we had our youngest, our daughter, and her husband over for dinner. So often when we have the whole family for dinner with all the children and grandchildren I find that most of my time is focused on the youngest children. This was an excellent opportunity to catch up with the two of them and they both got  our undivided attention. It was a special occasion since we were just told on Christmas day that they were expecting  so we had lots and lots to talk about. Today after a Dr. visit we were told that we are expecting a girl and this will be their first.


Keeping it simple with some fairly new place mats and napkins. A sale item from Williams Sonoma but I think great for year round use.


Some time ago we placed our breakfast room table in a room that is next to our newly remodeled kitchen. We use it only when there is six or less for dinner.


It is especially nice on a cold evening as it was this particular evening to have dinner with a fire in the fireplace.


I always have to be careful with the colors I use on this table but as you can tell I have used lots of bright color in this room so it is rarely a problem.



Chickens and Roosters always can find a place in my home as well.


These napkin rings are some I purchased long ago at one of my favorite places to shop when I am in that area, Boxwood in Atlanta, GA.

I love the oak leaves and acorns.

My Rooster Soup Tureen served as my centerpiece. I think he is just handsome.





It was a nice evening with our daughter and son-in-law and our menu was simple as well, Grilled Filet's, a mixture of Roasted Vegetables topped with a French Racclette Cheese, Garlic Roasted Potato Wedges and for dessert a Plantation Pecan Pie.

Plantation Pecan Pie

3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup pecans, halves or broken pieces
1 9-inch pie pastry, unbaked

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, salt and vanilla extract until well blended. Arrange pecans in pie pastry. Pour egg-sugar mixture into pie pastry; pecans will float to the top. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until crust is lightly browned and filling is puffy. Let pie cool to room temperature before cutting.


Today I am joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for her blog party, Tablescape Thursday.



10 comments:

  1. It has been way too long since I have had a piece of pecan pie. I don't think I had one over Christmas or Thanksgiving.
    What a gorgeous table all snuggled up by the fireside. The warm gold of the placemats fits so nicely there. I love your tureen, he would be welcome here anytime, such a lovely creature and a treasure. Have a wonderful Tablescape Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great setting, I love your new rooster placemats and napkins! The pie looks fantastic:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I perused your wonderful table setting, I could just visualize your wonderful adult evening with your daughter and s-i-l...dining fireside and hearing such welcome news. Congratulations and thank you for stopping by my post. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely place to eat and your menu sounded delicious. That pie would have been the favorite part of the meal in my home. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to mention that the Bernardaud Artois and the Schumann Empress are both usually available on eBay. They can be pretty expensive, but maybe not so bad if purchased a piece at a time. I just happened to walk into amazing deals on both of them from a Haviland dealer. In each case, someone had brought them to her, wanting to find a quick sale...and the dealer was kind to let me put them on lay away. Both were just very fortunate opportunities. Hope that you are able to collect the Bernardaud. It is indeed gorgeous! Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful place to share food and family talk -- and how exciting! a new baby to plan for.
    Your menu sounds perfect, and that pecan pie? How did you know it's my favorite secret vice? Well, not so secret!
    Lovely, warm, delightful post!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  7. You set a beautiful table...I love the rooster theme. And it sounds like you have a lot to talk about! The pie looks wonderful...thanks for the recipe!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a charming table! I love the chickens, particularly those cute placemats. Your acorn napkin rings are just darling, too. Love the detail on this table. Looks like the perfect cozy place to welcome in your good news. Congratulations on that news by the way. In the words of Miss Mellie, "It's always a happy day when babies come!"

    Happy Tablescape Thursday...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    P.S. And no room is complete with a dog enjoying himself. I miss mine SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and that pecan pie sounds scrumptious. THANKS! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your linens! I was just linen shopping this afternoon so they are on my mind. So cute with the centerpiece.

    It was my favorite part of the post...
    Until I started thinking about the pecan pie.

    ReplyDelete