Sunday, August 8, 2010

Little Changes



About a year and a half ago we did a kitchen remodel but when we did we lost our breakfast room. At the time we had intentions of adding a sun room to our house, enlarging the dining room and the family/reading room with the fireplace would become the breakfast room. We had already added on to our house about twenty years ago a second family room so it all made sense. After our kitchen remodel our daughter was married and we put our addition plans on hold. A little too long me thinks because I got very nervous about our economy and decided we didn't need to do that addition.

However, our breakfast room furniture remained at the end of that family room just off from the newly remodeled kitchen. It was a very dark spot and I always had to light it with candles no matter what time of day. Now that is not a problem because it did create an ambiance that was rather nice but it was bothering me that the light in that area was so poor.

This brings me to my Met Monday post hosted by Susan at Between Naps on the Porch. I had thought about putting a smaller scaled chandelier in the corner but my husband didn't like that idea. I had even found one that I liked and he liked it too but still didn't want to put a chandelier in the corner. We "upped" upon some wall sconces and the lights in my head and his went off. It became our compromise and here is what we did.

This is the way it looked before the metamorphosis.



And this is the way it looks now.



A little more light but ambient lighting. I LOVE the new look.



I have a real affection for lighting and this really appealed to me. The leaf design was very appealing and I found the little shades in a design studio. The shades picked up on the gold in the lamps and the macrame all over the shades really made them very elegant.

You may ask yourself, what did I do with the needlepoint framed pieces that I had stitched myself so many years ago? On the other side of that wall where the other family room was located. I learned a long time ago that using the same color scheme throughout your house would enable you to move things around in your house and achieve a new look. I have indeed achieved that color scheme throughout my house in varying shades and I am able to move furniture to different rooms and even wall hangings. It's a "Good Thing".



I did recently recover this wing chair but I will save that for another Met Monday.



Little changes can indeed be just what one needs.

There are so many amazing participants at Susan's Metamorphosis Monday and you can see those wonderful ideas by clicking here.

Have a lovely Monday.

Carolyn

4 comments:

  1. The lights are just wonderful in the dining area. You chose such pretty ones. Seems as if there's always a way to compromise. Beautiful. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn -- those sconces are just perfect!!!! They fit in so well -- and I love your furniture! It is so classy and so elegant! And yes, I like where you moved those pictures! It was a win/win situation.

    And little changes are good -- keeps a house from looking stale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carolyn! Your new sconces are a Beautiful solution to your design challenge! Love the sconces and ADORE those shades! I'm sure it is such a pleasure to try on the lights every day!

    Your new fabric on the wingback is so pretty- and the wingback itself has such nice lines.
    I so agree about the little changes. They make you see everything in a whole new light. I remember in our very first house in Portland, Or and after decorating the living room Dan declared we were "finished decorating", and I gave him 'the look'! He learned that very day that a home is never finished decorating! I explained that the only houses that are are the grandmothers houses where things haven't moved in 25 years!
    Hope you are well and having a wonderful summer!
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an absolutely gorgeous chair, I love that shade of pink. I recently bought a wing back and plan on recovering myself. Any tips you can give me?

    ReplyDelete