Friday, August 20, 2010

Blueberry Cheesecake



I love a good cheesecake and having said that, I have tried many many cheesecake recipes. I can honestly say that this is the best cheesecake I have ever prepared. Maybe because I picked the blueberries myself on our farm in S GA and there is something very comforting about that. We have lots and lots of blueberry bushes at our farm. Enough to fill my freezer to last me through the year and also enough to feed the birds.

I had been on the look out for a recipe for Blueberry Cheesecake because at one of my favorite local restaurants, they serve one that is their most often requested dessert. It is very good but I knew that I could make one better and I did.

This recipe I am sharing today comes from one of my favorite cookbooks, The Coastal Living Cookbook. This is a book that shares the best of recipes from all coasts of the USA.

You may ask, what makes this cheesecake different? Two things, the crust is made with ground almonds and adds so much flavor and the whipped cream topping that has just a touch of sour cream in it for a little tartness.




Blueberry Cheesecake

1 1/2 cups finely ground almonds
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons sour cream
Garnishes: blueberries, lemon rind strips

Stir together first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Press mixture into bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of a lightly greased 9-inch spring form pan; set aside.

Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Combine 1 1/4 cups sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, and salt. Add to cream cheese, beating until blended.

Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 8-ounce container sour cream, vanilla, and lemon zest, beating just until blended. Gently stir in 1 1/2 cups blueberries. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake at 300* for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until center is firm; turn oven off. Partially open oven door; let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes.

Remove cheesecake from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes. Cover and chill 8 hours. Release sides of pan.

Beat whipping cream at high speed until foamy; gradually add 2 teaspoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in 2 tablespoons sour cream. Spread over cheesecake. Garnish, if desired. Yield: 12 servings.


Since the recipe didn't call for it and I always follow a recipe exactly as it is written the first time I prepare it, I did not place it in a water bath. As one might expect it did crack on the top.







Not to worry because that lovely whipped cream topping is placed on the top to cover it.





This Blueberry Cheesecake has become my favorite recipe and at the same time I tried a new recipe from my vast collection of cookbooks which is also a "Good Thing".



This cookbook is a book that I highly recommend.



Today I am linking to Michael Lee's Designs by Gollum. A wonderful blog to share recipes.

6 comments:

  1. wonderful post..
    i too do love a good cheesecake..
    this is one I will definitely try..
    and the crust..
    perfect combination to tempt the tastebuds..
    thanks for sharing!!
    warm sandy hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please please please send a piece to Texas! This looks sooooo YUMMY...and beautiful!

    I hope you had a wonderful week!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blueberry cheesecake looks delish! Maybe I'll give it a try!
    Thanks for the nice comments. Our camping trip was cancelled an hour ago :( But, we are still making S'mores! Glad you enjoyed my Mondavi Dinner post. It was such an amazing night--we are still pinching ourselves. Love their chardonnay too. Enjoy your weekend.
    Delores

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get that crack in my cheesecake but but I just fill it with cherry pie filling. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound like a wonderful recipe! I love the addition of the ground almonds in the crust too. I'm saving this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds delicious! Great way to make cheesecake - normally so heavy - more summer-appropriate.

    ReplyDelete