Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Raspberry Streusel Muffins

With my vast collection of cookbooks, I find that sometimes I don't use them as I should. Last week I tried several new recipes that I had not prepared before but all came from cookbooks that I had had for a very long time.

The recipe I am sharing today is adapted from The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook by Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins with Sarah Leah Chase. One of my favorite books and it was published in 1984 but I believe stands up to the test of time. It is a great book.




This is a recipe that was suggested to me by a dear message board friend and I am so glad she did. It will be in my permanent repertoire and I hope you will try it and enjoy it as much as I have. It is a great breakfast treat or even an afternoon tea yum yum and it is a beautiful muffin.




Raspberry Streusel Muffins

Batter:

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
1 1/4 cups fresh raspberries
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

Streusel Topping:

1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Glaze:

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350* F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.

To make the muffin batter, sift the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon together into a medium-size mixing bowl and make a well in the center.

Place the egg, melted butter, and milk in the well. Stir with a wooden spoon just until ingredients are combined. Quickly stir in the raspberries and lemon zest. Fill each muffin cup three-fourths full with the batter.

To make the streusel topping, combine the pecans, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Pour in the melted butter and stir to combine. Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the top of each muffin.

Bake until nicely browned and firm, 20 to 25 minutes.

To make the glaze, mix the sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over the warm muffins with a spoon. Serve the muffins warm.

Makes one dozen muffins.




I hope you will try this delicious but easy muffin recipe.




You can click on to any photo to enlarge. Have a lovely day. Carolyn

2 comments:

  1. Carolyn -- you have me drooling -- these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now they look delicious, and I have to say that the Silver Palate cookbook is one of my all time favorites! Now... where the heck IS it now?. . . .
    Cass

    ReplyDelete