Friday, August 14, 2009

Comfort Food

I dearly love to prepare good food and entertain but sometimes when it's just my husband and myself we want comfort food. I am sharing with you today a recipe for Baked Ziti that has become a favorite of mine. Not only because it's good but it is a quick and easy dinner. The only thing you need to pare it with is a salad and crusty bread and maybe a good bottle of red wine. This is a recipe that was shared by a very dear message board friend and I would like to share it with you on this Foodie Friday hosted by Designs by Gollum. To see other participants of Foodie Friday click on the highlighted Designs by Gollum. You can also click onto any photo to enlarge.

I am a firm believer in using only the best ingredients in any recipe you are preparing. I have found Rao's marinara sauce to be an excellent jarred sauce. I prefer to make my own sauce but there are those times when time does not permit.




Baked Ziti

1 pound ziti or penne pasta
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
1 pound lean ground meat (I use sirloin or round)
2-26 ounce jars marinara sauce (I use Rao's)
6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
1 1/2 cups sour cream
6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. (I use a French Herbed Sea Salt) Add Ziti penne pasta and cook al dente, about 8 minutes, drain.

In a large skillet, brown onion until clear. Add garlic and saute for a minute and then add ground meat. Cook until browned on medium heat. Add spagheti sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.

Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter or spray a 9 X 13 inch baking dish.Layer as follows; 1/2 of the pasta, all the Provolone cheese and sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining pasta, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with Parmesan cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes in the pre-heated oven or until cheeses are melted.

Note:This recipe also easily freezes well before baking and sometimes I place this recipe in two 8X8 containers and seal it. One to eat now and the other for the freezer.

Sauteing the onions and garlic.



Simmering the sauce.



It is so easy to put together.



For a quick, easy and delicious dinner try this Baked Ziti. If you like pasta as I do you won't be disappointed.




Have a lovely remainder of the day and don't forget to stop by Designs by Gollum to see some other wonderful dishes shared by those participating.

Carolyn

9 comments:

  1. This looks good and easy and as if it serves a lot of people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good!! I will surely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! That sounds delish!
    I might have to try that this weekend!!!
    Thanks for sharing,
    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn -- a picture is worth 1000 words -- have read so much about this recipe but seing it -- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, this looks so good. It will be a nice recipe to make when Chris comes home as he loves pasta. Copied and pasted, and a big Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen many baked ziti recipes, and made many of them, too -- but never one with sour cream! I've got to try that one. Hmm... maybe test it on guests this weekend.
    Thanks!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing. We're sharing peanut butter ideas and Elvis stories at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. I hope you will come join us. Or, join us for Crock Pot Wednesdays. Mister Linky will be ready for that on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so yummy. Thanks. How do you feel about replacing the sour cream with Riccotta? I have a tub in the fridge right now I need to use?~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious. Love your blog and the pictures. It's a lot of fun to read. Nikki Moore

    ReplyDelete