Sunday, November 24, 2013

Hot Spinach-Artichoke Dip with Crab

I prepared this appetizer last evening for a party that we co-hosted with six other couples. This was the first time I had prepared this appetizer and thought it to be excellent. It is not something one would prepare often since it is very rich but for the holidays I think it would make for an excellent appetizer.

Hot Spinach-Artichoke Dip with Crab

1 1/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
4 green onions, sliced thinly
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 1/4 cups (5-ounces) shredded pepper Jack cheese
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1 (14-ounce) can medium-size artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
1 pound fresh jumbo lump crabmeat, carefully picked for shells
Crackers and/or assorted fresh vegetables

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together first 6 ingredients and 1 cup pepper Jack cheese. Fold in spinach and artichokes. Fold in jumbo lump crabmeat. Spoon into a lightly greased 1-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pepper Jack cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until center is hot and edges are bubbly.  Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper to taste. Serve with crackers and/or assorted vegetables.

Note: This recipe is very good even if you leave out the crab. If you do you should only use 1 cup of Parmesan and 1/2 cup of mayonnaise.

-----------------------------------------------

This went together so quickly. The most time consuming thing was picking through the crab meat but it is soooooooooo worth it. This appetizer is outstanding.


 
 
 
I failed to get a picture after it came out of the oven but I did let it get lightly browned on the top. I served it with toast rounds.
 
 
 
My serving piece is a very old anchor hocking piece that belonged to my mother. I have used it often and what makes it so unusual is that it has a lid and it's own trivet.
 
 
 
If you are looking for a killer appetizer for the holidays this one fits the bill. However, I am very fortunate to live near the Gulf coast of Florida and fresh crab is readily available. It is worth the effort to find fresh crab. This is an amazing recipe and one I will use again and again for special occasions.
 



I hope you will try this recipe and if you do I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

5 comments:

  1. Ohhhh your dip looks AMAZING!!!! Dips are one of my weaknesses.... I could skip dinner and just eat chips and dip!!! This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn =-- that looks absolutely delicious! I've made that dip a lot but I've never added the crab. That certainlly takes it up a notch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This always makes for a great holiday appetizer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made an artichoke dip last night for an appetizer when we had friends over for dinner. The crab in this recipe really makes it special and it sound sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to say I love that dish of your mothers!

    ReplyDelete