Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Transformed Vignette

A couple of weeks ago while at one of my favorite local gift shops I spied some most unusual wall sconces. Upon asking about them I discovered that an artist who uses items from demolished houses made these. I thought to myself, "How cool is that?" Definitely recycling. They of course, were very tall and these had been made from old stair spindles just randomly put together. I went home without buying them and looked around my house to find a place to put them. I REALLY didn't NEED another pair of sconces but these were so unusual and their size make such a statement, IMO. Do you ever see something that just speaks to you and you know that you must have somewhere you can put them? Happens to me all the time and I think that is one of the things that makes life more interesting, for me anyway.


My new wall sconces in our most used space in our home, the family room.

Here is what I had there before, brass sconces that had belonged to my mother. Of course, they have sentimental value and I will find another place to put them but they seemed lost on this wall.


The new sconces just seemed to work so much better. The buffet is an antique oak piece that I bought many years ago. The spiderweb back chairs I saw in one of the Southern Living homes that was a Show House in our area and just loved those chairs with their leopard seats. The lamp is fairly new with it's textured base and burlap shade and the pillows I had made recently. The pillows are burlap on the front with a burlap colored and black cording, the back is black and of course, the unusual monogram is black. When I saw some similar pillows I knew immediately they were just screaming to be placed on my leopard chairs.
 



The new sconces were just the statement I was looking for to complete this vignette. Now the tabletop things may change soon with some Fall things and I have already ordered some Fall gold candles for this room. For now I am enjoying my new sconces and everyone who walks through my back door notice them right away. They are making quite the conversation piece.



I had to move some things around especially since the vase of roses were too tall for the vignette after putting up the sconces and I was able to move the sconces out a good bit but I am very pleased with how this vignette came together. I don't think I mentioned the portrait in the middle, a portrait of my grown kidlets and obviously a very cherished portrait.



Today I am linking my post to Marty's blogging party at A Stroll Through Life, Tabletop Tuesday.

5 comments:

  1. The sconces are wonderful! They certainly make a statement! I know you will enjoy them for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those sconces....beautiful...I have a spider web chair also...a little different...but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sconces, so pretty and such a great vignette. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. You definitely NEEDED them -- they are PERFECT For that spot -- I adore them! Great job! I also like your chairs and the pillows and the . . .well, EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea. I think the sconces really add something to that wall. Solid looking. A statement.
    No wonder fell in love with those chairs. They are great.

    ReplyDelete