Friday, September 7, 2012

Farmer's Market Frittata

I often peruse my collection of cookbooks to prepare my grocery list for the week. Often I am looking for quick, easy but yet delicious recipes for dinner when I have had an unusually busy day. This recipe was just what I was looking for and it comes form one of my favorite cookbooks, Farm to Fork, cooking local, cooking fresh by Emeril Lagasse.

This frittata can be served for breakfast, brunch, lunch or even a lighter dinner. It is simply delicious using the freshest of ingredients. Substitutes of course, can be made cup for cup depending on your personal preference but this recipe will not disappoint. This time of year we have a wealth of fresh vegetables so why not use them but in different ways.


You will need a pan that can go from cook top to oven and in this case I used my trusty cast iron pan.

Farmer's Market Frittata
Farm to Fork by Emeril Lagassee

8 eggs
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup thinly sliced onions
1 cup thinly sliced yellow, red, or orange bell peppers, or a mix
1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms (about 4 ounces)
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 cup diced smoked ham
2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, basil, thyme, parsley, oregano, or your favorite mixture
1 cup grated Swiss cheese (about 4 ounces)

Set a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the broiler.

In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, salt and pepper together until combined.

Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a 10-inch oven proof saute' pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook, stirring as needed, until soft, 7 to 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and corn and cook for 2 minutes. Add the ham and cook until warmed through, 1 minute. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and when it has melted, add the egg mixture. Sprinkle the fresh herbs over the eggs, and top with the grated cheese. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the eggs, undisturbed, for 3 minutes, or until the surface begins to bubble and the bottom starts to set.

Immediately place the saute' pan in the oven and broil until golden brown on top, 3 to 4 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven. Using a rubber spatula, loosen the frittata from the sides of the pan. Tilt the pan and gently slide the frittata onto a platter. Serve hot or warm.

Serves 6
---------------------------------------------------------------------

My Notes: I used baby portobello mushrooms because I think they have more flavor and I also used a good imported Gruyere cheese.

 
 

The fresh herbs are essential to this dish and if you don't have an herb garden grow them in pots. Herbs make even the most mundane recipe just pop with flavor. With this frittata I used Sage, Thyme, and Basil.

 
 
 
This dish is just loaded with deliciousness and pared with a simple side salad it makes for a light but yet satisfying dinner.
 
I am linking this post to Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.

 
 

5 comments:

  1. I have never made one of these but it would be a nice change from quiche! it looks delicious! Thank you!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this will be a real favorite around here! Tomorrow is our farmers' market and I'll be looking for what vegetables look the best.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this kind of dish. And I often do one on Saturday morning with whatever I find there! Yours looks absolutely delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious Carolyn. I have this cookbook too, and will have to try this. :)

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh.....please...please post this on my "Open House" - your blog is lovely!

    ReplyDelete