Sunday, March 11, 2012

Quiche Lorraine

Many years ago my mother in law shared her recipe for Quiche Lorraine and it became a favorite recipe of mine. Sometimes for dinner I enjoy a simpler meal with just a side salad but yet something very tasty and enjoyable made with the freshest ingredients.

We lost my mother in law this past Fall, she lived a good and wonderful life of 96 years and when I came across this recipe the other day it was a nice reminder of that lovely lady.



Quiche Loraine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 1/2 cups half and half
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
dash pepper
2 cups Gruyere cheese, grated
2 tablespoons flour
8 slices of cooked bacon, chopped or 3/4 cups ham, diced in small pieces
9-inch pie crust

Combine the half and half, eggs and seasonings and whisk them together.

Toss the cheese and flour together. Add in the meat to this mixture. Place the flour/cheese mixture in the bottom of the pie plate that you have placed the crust. Pour in the egg mixture and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes.

My Notes: I cooked this about  fifteen minutes longer because I like to get a nice brown top. Also, if you are using ham and the ham is a little salty you may want to cut back on the salt.



It is a great way to use up any leftover ham but also a little lighter dinner meaning not such a large dinner. Pared with a simple salad this is a very comforting dinner.

The Gruyere cheese makes this quiche a little creamier. It is a delicious but simple recipe and I think that is why I enjoy it so much. It's even better warmed the next day too. Preparing this recently was a nice reminder of my lovely mother in law.

4 comments:

  1. We just ate the last of the Gruyere from last nights Cauliflower Gratin, or I'd be making this for tonight's dinner. I love quiche - the smell when it's baking, that first creamy bite, the flaky pastry. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a great recipe. I'll use this next time I make quiche!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quiche! This sounds like a terrific recipe since I also love Gruyere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quiche is fabulous. Served with a fresh salad, and a cool crisp glass of wine. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete