Monday, December 12, 2011

A Very Special Christmas Table

Many years ago my grandmother who was so special to me crocheted some angels, bells, and snowflakes for a Christmas Tree that I wanted to do in my house. That was more than 30 years ago and I have been doing this tree ever since. It has so much emotional significance for me.
These handmade crocheted ornaments are so very dear to me. I think they were the last thing my grandmother made for me before she died. I have been decorating this tree with these ornaments ever since. I place this tree at the end of our upstairs hallway and it is also part of my outdoor scheme when lit in the evening. This tree is viewed from the front of my house.

These are some of the individual ornaments.

They are so delicate and so very cherished. Here is the tree topper, an angel crocheted by my grandmother so many years ago.

The cedar lined trunk that it sits upon has a story too. It was made by my great great grandfather who was killed by a black man over a "still" . Apparently they were building a "still" together, had an argument over God knows what and his partner killed him, shot him. The partner went to jail, of course, but this cedar lined trunk has a story, a history if you will.
This year I added something new to my very "Special Tree" . Underneath the tree you will notice a beautiful cutwork runner. It was gifted to me by a very special friend and I couldn't think of a better way of using this beautiful runner but to incorporate it in my sentimental vignette. I am sure I will use it in other ways but for now it is a part of my vignette. As I walk downstairs everyday at least 100 times I am reminded of my friend AND my dear grandmother. It's a "good thing".
It is a lovely addition to my most special Christmas Tree.

I am very sentimental about things that loved ones who have made things for me but also about gifted things to me that have a very special meaning. I am so very appreciative of those things that were handed down but also appreciative of those very special gifts from very special friends.

I feel truly blessed. The doll here in the photo, Clara from The Nutcracker, only adds to the sentimental vignette, my daughter danced in The Nutcracker in our community while in our community Ballet Company. It is a reminder of that wonderful place in time.

I am joining Marty at A Stroll Thru Life at her blogging party Table Top Tuesday.

Enjoy your day to everyone.

11 comments:

  1. Your little tree is just gorgeous! I love that your grandmother crocheted all of the ornaments so each one is equally special :o)
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely vignette. I love the special meaning of all the pieces -- your grandmother's Christmas ornaments and Clara as well as the trunk. That cutwork piece does work well there. It's a perfect vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the thought of a special tree, trimmed in handmade decorations from a beloved grandmother. It just doesn't get much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love where you have your special tree Carolyn, the setting is perfect.

    Just lovely ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet that little tree looks. I used to have some of those little crocheted bells etc..angels..and..I cannot think of what happened to them as I never get rid of my Christmas orniments. Hmmm...
    A very special little tree...so sweet. Wish I had mine!
    Love,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a sweet post. I love your beautiful vignette, and how wonderful that you can see it in your hallway, and others can see the lovely tree from outside your window. The Clara doll is beautiful! The North Carolina School of the Arts (located in our city) does a beautiful production of "The Nutcracker" every Christmas. Your crocheted ornaments are so special; your grandmother must have been a real sweetheart. I know exactly what you mean about being sentimental over special Christmas decorations gifted to you. I'm the very same way. Every Christmas, I take a trip down memory lane when I am putting out my decorations. It's wonderful to be able to remember, isn't it?

    Have a great week.

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful tree with all of those lovely ornaments hand made by your grandmother! It's really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow...looks lovely...beautiful cliks..
    just found your space...awesome space you have..
    interesting posts with nice presentation..
    Am your happy follower now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, I have a crocheted angel on top of one of my Christmas trees as well. My grandmother crocheted everything...from decorative items to edgings for all of the sheets and towels that our whole family had. Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am getting more and more sentimental as the years go by. Old age I think they call it. Very sweet post. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely tree. Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Cheers,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete