Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Mixed Green Salad with Strawberries and Feta topped with a Strawberry Vinaigrette

I very often make this salad most especially during the summer since the strawberries are so good at this time of the year. It's light but delicious, however, the Strawberry Vinaigrette is one I prepared for the first time last night. I most often use a Balsamic Vinaigrette on this salad. Not anymore though after trying this one.


Mixed Green Salad with Strawberries, Feta, Emeril's Pecans with a Strawberry Vinaigrette

Mixed Baby Greens
Sliced Strawberries
Feta Cheese
Emeril's Pecans *
Strawberry Vinaigrette*

Layer all ingredients together and top with the Strawberry Vinaigrette

* recipe to follow

Emeril's Pecans

1 large egg white
1 teaspoon water
4 cups shelled pecan halves
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Emeril's Essence
1/2 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together egg white and water until frothy. Add the nuts and toss to coat. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, Essence, cayenne, and salt. Add to the nuts and stir to coat evenly. Spread the nuts on the prepared pan and bake until dry, about 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir to separate. Let cool on the baking sheet. Serve warm or at room temperature.

My Notes: I have used this recipe for years and they are delicious on a salad or to nimble on. I highly recommend them.


Strawberry Vinaigrette

1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Salt & pepper to taste
1/3 cup olive oil

Place the vinegar, honey, strawberries, and salt & pepper in a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil.

My notes: I used a tall plastic container and blended with a stick blender. I also used an excellent Champagne Vinegar. Either could be used according to your own particular preference.

This recipe is so simple but in my opinion one of the best dressings I have ever made. I watched P. Allen Smith on his program on Create television make this so it was an adaption of his recipe. For those of you not familiar with P. Allen Smith, he is an internationally known gardener and garden designer extraordinaire. He was trained in England and now lives in Little Rock, Arkansas where he has an in town home but also has a farm outside of Little Rock. His program is most often about gardening but he has recently written a cookbook and like most TV hosts he stresses using local ingredients and seasonal ingredients. Some of his newer programs incorporate some of his recipes from his new book however, this particular recipe does not appear in his cookbook. If you are interested in learning more about P. Allen Smith check out his website, http://www.pallensmith.com/. I have met Allen and hope to some day visit his farm.


If you try this recipe you won't be disappointed. It truly is delicious and I intend to serve this salad at my next dinner party. It's light but absolutely delicious. I think one could even add some roasted or grilled sliced chicken breast for a lovely light summer dinner. Pared with some crusty bread and a good bottle of wine, wellllllllllll it just doesn't get any better than that.


DELICIOUS!!!!!

On another note, one of my favorite bloggers, Delores @ http://vignettedesign.blogspot.com/
has just reached her 1,000 th follower and to celebrate she is offering a drawing of a gorgeous Cheese Platter. Delores has some of the most innovative ideas that I have ever seen and I admit to using many of her ideas that she has shared from the burlap Tom's shoes (I have them in many colors but am now on my second pair of burlap Tom's) to using burlap in home decor and entertaining. She always shares some fabulous ideas. Go by and check out her blog, you will immediately see what I mean, it is fabulous eye candy.

Congratulations, Delores.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, does this make my mouth water just thinking about it, Carolyn! I've made E's pecans before (& I love them) & had many a salad with strawberries added but the dressing is what intrigues me. I just bought fresh strawberries this morning, so you KNOW I'm going to try this very soon. If we hadn't just finished eating it would have been on TONIGHTS menu!

    Thank you so much for sharing!
    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dressing, with such a high recommendation, will be on the menu for the long weekend coming up in a few days!

    ReplyDelete