Thursday, July 14, 2011

Ina Garten's Mac and Cheese

I do believe that nothing says "comfort food" like Mac and Cheese. I admit that it truly is a favorite of mine and I particularly like Ina Garten's recipe. This recipe comes from the cookbook Barefoot Contessa Family Style.
To me topped with slices of Heirloom Tomatoes and pared with a Mixed Green Salad  it makes for a very satisfying meal.

Ina Garten's Mac & Cheese

Vegetable oil
Kosher salt
1 pound elbow macaroni or cavatappi
1 quart milk
8 tablespoons (1 stick)  unsalted butter, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
12 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (4 cups)
8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar, grated (2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
3/4 pound fresh tomatoes (4 small)
1 1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (5 slices, crusts removed)

Instructions:

Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.

While the pasta cooks, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Melt 6 tablespoons of butter in a large (4-quart) pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thickened and smooth. Off the heat, add the Gruyere, Cheddar, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.

Slice the tomatoes and arrange on top. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, combine them with the fresh bread crumbs, and sprinkle on the top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in a preheated 375 degree F. oven, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.

This dish can be made ahead of time. To make ahead, put the macaroni and cheese in the baking dish, cover, and refrigerate until ready to bake. Put the tomatoes and bread crumbs on top and bake for about 40 to 50 minutes.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

My Notes: It has been my experience that a recipe is only as good as the ingredients you use. I think most food network chef's agree with that. I always use a very good English Cheddar and a French Gruyere. The flavor difference is very distinctive.

This is ready to pop in the oven. 
I recently made this as a side when my grand children were coming for dinner. Each of them are somewhat of picky eaters but I found that they loved this. If you try this recipe you won't be disappoiinted. It has become a family favorite.

It's Friday so I am joining Michael Lee West's blogging party, Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum. There are so many interesting recipes shared at this blogging party and you can view those participants entries by clicking HERE.

10 comments:

  1. The mac and cheese looks great, I have to try the fresh breadcrumbs. Local tomatoes are just starting to come in:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made Ina's recipe but I will have to rectify that and soon! Yours looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no doubt that good cheddar and gruyere will make all the difference! Now you've got me longing for some of this comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Ina's recipes but I have never tried this. My pasta-loving son is going to love this! Thank you!

    Best wishes and happy weekend,
    Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your idea of adding the heirloom tomatoes on top. They do seem to make it more of a complete meal with a salad and a little bit more grown-up. Nice to hear it's kid friendly. I don't get many kid's at my table, but when I do, it's nice to have a reliable recipe tht I know they'll enjoy. Thanks.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carolyn,
    I always used Marie's in the past and sometimes wouldn't use the whole jar soon enough. I hate waste so now I mix up just what I need for the week. Hope it works for you. I love your blog and will spend some time later visiting. Darling fur babies and a beautiful Vanda tell me we have a lot in common. Hope to see you soon.
    Rita form South Florida (May Days)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm putting "French Gruyere" cheese on my grocery list for tomorrow! We've got red tomatoes coming from the garden every day now & this would be a perfect way to use some up.

    Thanks for the recipe. I just LOVE Ina but I missed seeing this one of her's.

    Hugs,
    Rett

    p.s. Susan of BNOTP bought a flag tray online from Sur La Table, she liked mine so much. So yes, you can purchase from them online. *big grin*

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so delicious!

    Thank you for your comment a few days ago and the clematis you asked about is a Bee's Jubilee-it is light pink with deep pink stripes-very pretty in my photo it looked a little more mauve then it is.Dr Rupple is very similar if you can't get Bee's Jubilee.

    Take care,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carolyn...

    Ohhh my goodness...your Mac-n-cheese dish looks absolutely divine, my friend! I love that you added the tomato slices to the top...Mmmm! I'll definitely be giving this recipe a try...thanks for sharing it with us!

    I also wanted to thank you for stopping by and taking a peek at my tablescape this week. I sooo enjoyed your visit and sweet, sweet note! You made my day, dear lady! Thank you!!!

    Warmest summery wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carolyn,
    Can you believe that I've never made this?! And, I don't even know why- I love mac and cheese, and you know I love our Ina;)

    hope you are well and surviving the heat. We are 96 today :O Thank goodness this Southern girl insisted on central AC when we renovated!!

    xojoan

    ReplyDelete