Monday, July 11, 2011

Bringing in the Garden Flowers

Filling vases for around my home with flowers from my garden is an ever changing thing. Right now I am trying to use the hydrangeas since they will soon be spent. I love filling vases to go in various locations in my home and the hydrangeas last for a while. If lucky they also dry easily.
Since this corner is my usual spot in the evening I love to have a full vase of flowers to enjoy and lift me to a different place.

My front entry is always a wonderful place to have a bouquet of garden flowers. I think it epitomizes the word "Welcome".
I sometimes place a bouquet on my couch table directly behind the couch in our family room.


And the morning room often gets a live hydrangea on the hearth which I later plant in my garden. I always have room for another hydrangea plant.

Of course, a small rose bloom in my narrow kitchen window sill is always a delight.


I thoroughly enjoy cutting from my garden and bringing bouquets in to enjoy all over my house.

Today I am joining Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday. The bouquets I bring into my home are an ever changing thing.

I am also sharing an easy and delicious recipe that is great for summer whether it is served as a salad on a bed of fresh greens or served with tortilla chips as an appetizer. This recipe was originally shared by a food message board friend and everyone on our little board has truly enjoyed this recipe. Thank you Betsy for sharing this recipe, it is a winner.



Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salsa


1 pound package frozen corn, thawed
3 tablespoons oil (canola or olive)
1 tablespoons salt
3/4 teaspoon cumin powder
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
5 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 cup chopped red onion
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2-15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 large avocados, chopped



 Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss corn with 3 tablespoons of oil on baking sheet. Bake for 18- 22 minutes until golden brown stirring frequently.

 Combine salt, cumin, lime juice, oil and vinegar. Shake well in a jar.

 In a large bowl, combine rest of chopped ingredients. Add beans and

corn. Add avocado, and dressing last and toss gently.

 Refrigerate for up to 6 hours. Serve same day you make it.




I always get rave reviews when I serve this and am always asked for the recipe. It is so fresh, nutritious, and makes for a beautiful presentation. I hope you will try it, you won't be disappointed.

5 comments:

  1. Hi and everything looks so pretty and your flowers - gorgeous!
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH SO pretty!!! I adore flowers, and particularly love hydrangeas in the summer. Last summer I could cut armloads and bring in ... this summer? hardly a bloom to be found, we had such a terribly hard winter.

    Oh well -- at least I get to enjoy the blossoms from your bushes! They are stunning ... lucky you!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are using your flowers in your home. I wish we had hydrangeas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn -- your garden flowers are so pretty inside. I love to pick flowers for the house as well -- unfortunately, because we were gone, I don't have as many as in previous years. But I do love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I picked flowers for five bouquets this afternoon - roses for the rose bowl and the rest daisies, foxglove, cranes bill and the last of the columbine. I always feel so indulged when I have flowers everywhere. Your hydrangeas are lovely - ours aren't blooming yet.

    ReplyDelete