Tuesday, May 31, 2011

60th Surprise Birthday Dinner in The Garden

Don't forget that you can click on to any photo in the post to enlarge.

Last week I hosted a dinner party for a dear friends 60th. It was to be a surprise and I think we pulled it off. It was a group effort by many other friends who graciously brought the food. The menu was a somewhat Spanish dinner and culminated with a fabulous Chocolate Mousse Cake with very tall candles.

Here in N FL with our intense heat coming on I contemplated having the dinner outside in the garden. I couldn't resist having another Garden Dinner party. The weather was not forecasting rain but yet it was a little humid as it often is this time of year. My garden was still looking very good so it would have probably been the last time I could have conceivably pulled this off. I think it was a success.

The last time I had a Garden party I used round tables with burlap cloths. This time I chose to use white tablecloths and chairs and did burlap runners. I also mixed my plates with white and also my Vilroy & Boch toile dinner plates. I did use the same center pieces but this time instead of all white I used blue hydrangeas from my garden with small sunflowers coming out of the top.


These stumps were from a tree that my husband took down at our farm in S GA. He brought them home and routed out the center to fit some cylinder vases that I used inside the stumps. The moss came from trees in our back yard and I was given a tip from a floral professional, if the moss comes directly from the trees and not laying on the ground then it will NOT have red bugs in it. Soooooooooo, I used the moss at the base of the stumps.
It truly was an elegant evening.
The bar was set up in close proximity.
I had done this small table on the patio and my Apothecary Jar was to be placed on the silver plateau. Unfortunately, I did not get a pic of the jar on the plateau. However, there is a photo below that I had used at my daughter in laws home some weeks ago so just imagine my Apothecary Jar sitting on top of the silver plateau. I did in fact served the same Champagne Sangria and you can find the recipe by clicking here.
My garden was also co-operating. Thankfully there were other things blooming since the last Garden Dinner party I had had about a month prior.



 The patio was set up for a comfortable way to enjoy sipping on that Champagne Sangria.

 The birthday girl blowing out her candles.
I think a good time was had by all and it was such a JOY to host such a special event for my dear friend. Even my outdoor garden lighting was co-operating which was a good thing since our party went well into the evening.


Today I am joining the blogging party Outdoor Wednesday and also Tablescape Thursday.


22 comments:

  1. Your outdoors is cooperating! Lovely party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos!! Happy Outdoor Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My invitation must have been lost in the mail...

    What a fabulous looking backdrop for a wonderful celebratory dinner. I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 60th ... wow and your garden and weather cooperated for the celebration. It looks like everyone had a wonderful time.
    Joyce M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn -- love everything about your garden party!!! I have always admired those big long tables outside (the only time I admire them, really) but there is just something about one big long table outside!!!

    And your garden looks amazing -- I'm not sure what mine will look like -- if I'll be able to find the plants among the weeds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a wonderful way to have dinner with friends! The setting was picture perfect and the evening lighting looks so romantic.
    We are finally getting into the dining in the garden season here.
    Take care,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love,love,love to be a guest at a party like this! Simply the perfect summer spot to entertain. I really do this in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Photos! Awesome entertaining location to be certain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. bautiful setting, looks like loads of fun~

    ReplyDelete
  10. A truly lovely outdoor party venue! I just love how white is so luminescent in the evening. Beautiful, beautiful! many blessings, marlis

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a special thing to do! Everything was so lovely...and I love your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely setting -- your garden is gorgeous....my dream to have so many pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here on the prairie, we grab every opportunity to dine al fresco...when summer comes on full tilt, it will no longer be an option. The routered stumps are wonderful. I'd use them all the time! Thank you for sharing your beautiful design. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful garden! And you topped it with a beautiful table setting....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    WOW! What a great party! I can tell you are a talented lady! I used to live in Central Florida but now live in the NW near Seattle. So, I am a Southern Gal living in the Northwest. It looks like everyone had a wonderful time at the party! Great memory for all who came... xoxo Kim

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everything is beautiful! I love the stumps as a centerpiece. I have recently moved from S GA (Tifton specifically) so I am curious where your farm is located. :) We now live above Athens so it's not much different, just a little cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty! Your yard and gardens are gorgeous, I'm sure everyone had a great time:@)

    ReplyDelete
  18. How very stunning! You really put together a lovely celebration for your friend. She really does not look 60!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your flowers are so lovely. I love that little kittycat planter! I'm sure all your guests enjoyed themselves immensely due to all your preparations. How clever to use stumps as centerpieces.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks like a wonderful birthday party!
    I have saved your Sangria Champagne recipe from the other post, and can't wait to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh Carolyn... what a lovely party! what a wonderful gift to your dear friend. you are always the most wonderful hostess and have the best parties, and this one was no exception- everything was just beautiful! and your garden looked magical.... your lucky, lucky guests!
    xojoan

    ReplyDelete
  22. Truly looks like an enchanted evening. You have a lovely garden.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete