Friday, November 19, 2010

Carolyn's Chili

When the Fall temperatures drop into the 30's there is nothing better than a good hearty Chili. I have used this recipe for many years and it is always a comforting dinner pared with a salad and a good bottle of wine, well it just doesn't get any better than that.




Carolyn's Chili

2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 pound ground round
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 green bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1-2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 28-ounce crushed tomatoes
30-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

 In a 5-quart  dutch oven place olive oil and heat the oil. Place the ground round in the dutch oven and brown; pour off fat. Add onions and bell pepper and saute just until onions are clear. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes, do not let garlic burn. Add chili powder, cumin, salt pepper and bay leaf. Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer and simmer for two hours.

Note: 2 tablespoons of chili powder will make the chili very hot. I most always only add one tablespoon.

To top the chili before serving I usually add some grated cheddar, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chopped scallions.

Sauteing the ground round and vegetables.



Simmering the chili after all the ingredients are added in.



Simmering away for two hours.


A wonderful hearty Chili and this is traditionally our Tanksgiving Eve dinner.



Today I am joining Kim at Quit Eating Out for Saturday Swap. A fun party sharing some of our favorite recipes.

9 comments:

  1. Isn't this just the best weather for chili? I love your idea of having it the night before Thanksgiving. I may borrow that as we'll be in LA and Mike's sister and her family, as well as my girls and Donnie will all be getting in late Wednesday afternoon. I think it's going to be up to me to have dinner ready for all of them! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is gorgeous! And this recipe sounds perfect.... it's FREEZING here. :) Thanks so much for being a part of the Swap. Hope you have a super weekend!!! PS ~ Did you see my post on your lasagna? It was SO delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving with our children on Wednesday night before Thanksgiving...but your chili looks really good. The bay leaf is agreat idea. thank YOU. I am visiting from Kim's Saturday Swap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sounding recipe! I'm usually lazy when it comes to making chili and use the packaged seasoning mix. I'll have to give your recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a beautiful kitchen! I like your chili pot too. I've never seen one like it.

    Who doesn't love chili on a cold day? Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was bloghopping and the word, "Southern" caught my eye on your blog. Your chili looks wonderful. I am a cook, too. You have a beautiful kitchen and some really cute doggies. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Carolyn! Your chili looks great, I will have to give it a try the next time!
    Those Cranberry Pumpkin Nut Muffins are from the old, old food site. Don't remember who originally posted them, but I've tweaked them a lot over the years. They really are pretty delish!
    I wish you and your beautiful family a wonderful Thanksgiving!
    big hug!
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very similar to the one I make except it has green peppers and cumin...have to try that next time. Now you have me wanting some!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your chili, Carolyn. We are having a damp and cold day here in Oregon. Chili would be perfect for dinner. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete