Thursday, July 8, 2010

Raspberry-Sour Cream Coffee Cake



Today is Foodie Friday and I am joining Michael Lee West at Designs by Gollum. Thank you Michael Lee for hosting this weekly event. Although I do not post every week I always enjoy seeing what other participants have shared each Friday.

I have a new cookbook, The William-Sonoma Baking Book, The Essential Recipe Collection For Today's Home Baker. This book came out last year and it is one I know I will use often. The Raspberry-Sour Cream Coffee Cake is the first recipe from this book that I have tried and it is a winner.



It went together so quickly.





Raspberry-Sour Cream Coffee Cake

For the topping:

1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

For the cake:

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups fresh raspberries
2 Tbs confectioners' sugar

Preheat the oven to 350*. Grease and flour a 10-inch round springform pan. To make the topping, in a small bowl, stir together the floour, sugar, and zest. Add the melted butter and stir with a fork until the mixture is crumbly.

To make the cake, in a a bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until well blended. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the sour cream mixture. Beat until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly. Cover evenly with the raspberries. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the berries.

Bake until the topping is golden brown, 38-42 minutes. A Toothpick inserted into the center of the cake should come out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 20 minutes. Remove the sides of the springform pan. Using a fine-mesh sieve, dust with the confectioners' sugar and serve warm or at room temperature, cut into wedges.




I could hardly wait to try the first piece and I was not disappointed. It is a moist cake and the lemon zest gives it a nice freshness that is unexpected. Certainly a cake for a special gathering.




It was a good choice for the first recipe that I tried from this book and I will use this book over and over again. It is a keeper.





Enjoy you day.

9 comments:

  1. This is a good coffee cake. I love most recipes from WS...

    I see that we're both native Floridians...I am on the gulf coast, near Tampa. Stop by for a visit...

    Jane (artfully graced)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great, looks lovely under the cloche-enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh How yuumy! It looks and sounds amazing!

    Someday I am coming to your home and stealing that gorgeous pastry table...I just thought I would give you fair warning;)!

    Enjoy!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds yummy! I'm going to get some raspberries tomorrow and try it. I see you have a tri-color Cavalier. I do too---mine is Violet. Love your French pastry table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Carolyn! Hope you are having a fun summer! This cake sounds and looks wonderful!!

    I LOVE your new photo header of your house! That picture is Beautiful! Just beautiful!!
    hugs,
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. That coffee cake sounds delicious. I love raspberries.. Wish I had a slice with my coffee this morning.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to have a new recipe to try for the raspberry season. This one looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolyn, it was so nice to have a visit from you. Your coffee cake sounds wonderful and it does not appear to be difficult to make. I find it hard to beat easy and delicious. I'll try to get the book from out library. I'd like to peruse it. I hope the day is treating you well. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely lovely! I have two sweet little girls that adore anything raspberry. I will certainly have to make this for them soon!

    ReplyDelete