Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Heirloom Tomatoes

Most of my gardening efforts are flower beds and on our property I don't have room to plant a vegetable garden. I enjoy entertaining most of the year outdoors so I prefer my flower beds to vegetable gardens. However, this year I decided to plant in pots some different varieties of Heirloom Tomatoes. They have done very well and every morning my husband takes a lot of pleasure in taking tomatoes off the bushes that are ready to pick and bringing them inside.







I planted two Green Zebra's, two yellow pear, a Sioux, a Roma and a French heirloom called Juan Flamme. I think the heirloom varieties are much tastier than most of the hybrids.

This is one of the Green Zebra's.



We have enjoyed our Heirloom Tomato plants and will definitely plant them again next year. They have appeaared in countless salads and I am working on several new recipes.



This has been a favorite recipe using herbs from my garden too. It's a recipe from the newest book of the Houston Junior League called Peace Meals. I highly recommend this book too. It has lots and lots of recipes using the freshest of ingredients and the book has some fabulous photos.

Fresh Tomato Salad with Herbed Dressing

Herbed Dressing

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
1 taplespoon finely snipped fresh chives
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1 cup diced red tomatoes
1 cup diced yellow tomatoes
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1 1/2 teaspoons course salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Salad

5 large red tomatoes, thinly sliced
5 large yellow tomatoes, thinly sliced
course salt and freshly ground pepper
6 cups baby arugula
2 ounces freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Combine the lemon juice, shallots and garlic in a medium bowl. Whisk in the olive oil; add the herbs, diced tomatoes and grape tomatoes. Mix well and season with the salt and pepper.

Arrange the sliced tomatoes decoratively around a large platter, alternating colors; season with salt and pepper. Using a slotted spoon, remove the tomatoe pieces from the dressing and place over the sliced tomatoes; drizzle with three-fourths of the dressing. Toss the arugula with the remaining dressing. Arrange the arugula in the middle of the platter of tomatoes and top with the cheese. Do not refrigerate.

This is such a tasty but beautiful salad.

One day last week I was out in the garden and my grass was getting a little high. This little critter was camaflauged in the grass and I came very close to stepping on him.



Now he is a harmless little Rat Snake and I didn't want to hurt him but he surely gave me a fright.




Today and every Wednesday Susan at A Southern Daydreamer is hosting Outdoor Wednesday. Please go by Susan's blog and see other participants of Outdoor Wednesday.

5 comments:

  1. I would rather eat fresh tomatoes than almost anything...so YUMMY! I am going to try your recipe tonight...I'll let you know how it goes!

    Thanks for adding me to your favorites...I am doing the same! I have been peeking around your blog for awhile and I love it! Your kitchen is GORGEOUS!

    Have a wonderful day!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tomatoes look very good!! You were a VERY BRAVE Girl to take the picture of the snake!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tomatoes look great. I saw my first bud on my single plant. A bounty of tomatoes doesn't seem to be in my future! Ah well, since I don't have room for much of a garden, that's what the farmer's market is for I suppose. Enjoy your tomatoes for the rest of us, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first time to your site and I think it's great! I love growing tomatoes and have taken to mixing the veggies in my flower garden. That's how thinkgs were grown pre-Victorian, so I thought I'd try it. It works well for me. Your salad recipe looks delicious! I'll have to try it, I have lots of tomatoes right now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tomatoes look so good. I've traveled so much the past several years that I haven't grown anything including flowers. That's gonna change this fall. :0)

    Growing in containers is great...just have to water them more frequently. My Dad has 18 tomato plants growing right now...he lives a small distance out a rural highway that has plenty of traffic. He's going to set up a roadside veggie stand and sell them...with the price that are being charged in the stores he can give a much better price and product. He's almost 80 but lives like he's 40! What a guy!! :0)

    I'm visiting for Outdoor Wednesday....Hope you have a wonderful day,

    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete