Friday, May 28, 2010

Sun Dried Tomato Hummus




It's Foodie Friday and I am joining Michael Lee West at Designs by Gollum.

This Foodie Friday I am sharing a favorite Hummus recipe. I love a good hummus and have tried many recipes and this is a favorite of mine. A quick and easy appetizer to make for this Memorial Weekend festivities.





Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus

1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed, reserve 1/3 cup of the liquid from the beans)
3 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1 ounce sun-dried tomatoes, minced
1/4 cup sliced green onion (white and pale green parts only), sliced thin
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Check taste and add additional salt, pepper and horseradish, to taste. You may want to add more sun-dried tomatoes as well.




The pottery pieces, the platter and small bowl, holding the hummus is a potter here in the USA named Frances Palmer. I have also become very fond of some of her work and have been collecting a few pieces. They are handmade, white on white most often and very sturdy. It's a good thing to support home grown businesses. The stemware are reproduction Williamsburg glassware. With this hummus I like to serve with Carr's Cracked Pepper crackers.




I have also served this hummus as people gather for Brunch along with some of my kicked up Mimosa's. I always rim the stemware with Grand Marnier and superfine sugar. Let them sit overnight to harden. When I am ready to serve I fill the glasses 3/4 full with Orange Juice, fill the rest with a good champagne, and then give it a splash of Grand Marnier. You will never drink Mimosa's any other way after trying this.



I hope you will try the Sun-Dried Tomato Hummus. The horseradish gives it a little kick. Serving Mimosa's at your next brunch will always say, "It's a Party."




Have a wonderful and safe Memorial Day Holiday.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my, looks wonderful, I'll be trying it this weekend! Million thanks!!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on Foodie Friday and it looks ever so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn -- Your Hummus looks wonderful! And that is a great dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way both the hummus and the mimosas are 'taken up a notch.' I'll have to give them both a try - perhaps for the July 1st Canada Day holiday.
    Enjoy your long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn, that looks delicious. I've never made hummus with horseradish before, but it sounds great. I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hummus looks and sounds wonderful. The sun-dried tomatoes really take it to another level. The mimosas aren't bad either :-). Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore hummus. It's so delicious with veggies and I bet they are the perfect accompaniment to the spicy horseradish. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "glasses 3/4 full with Orange Juice, fill the rest with a good champagne, and then give it a splash of Grand Marnier" YUM!! We have a tradition, that the first time a person visits our home, they are met with a glass (or two!) of champagne. I may try your Mimoso very soon & I'm sending a link to my DD, as she loves to make homemade hummus.
    My DH doesn't care for it so I seldom serve it. I think I might be able to change his mind with this recipe.

    Thanks for sharing & I ♥ your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete