Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Heart of any Home, The Kitchen

A year ago I did a complete Kitchen makeover. I enjoyed my old kitchen but I really LOVE the new one. The new Sub-zero refrigerator was tops on my list of "must haves". I researched lighting fixtures that I had seen in some of my decorating magazines and then searched on the internet. The bell jar lanterns were of particular interest to me and I think set the tone for the kitchen.



At the end of my island I had some shelves put in. Originally I had hoped it would be a great place for my most used cookbooks but instead it became the shelves that housed my collection of S&P's. Atop this end of the island I often have an orchid or some kind of plant and I seasonally change out my cookie jar which is another collection. Right now a McCoy Rooster cookie jar is watching over the daily activities.



I always have a candle burning in my kitchen. Since the kitchen is central to the house it fragrances my whole house and I always prefer fragrances that are subtle. This one happens to be Archipelago Botanicals, Bergamot Tobacco.




Whatever orchid from my collection of orchids is in bloom is most often sitting at the end of my island. If I don't have an orchid blooming then it is whatever potted plant is looking the best at the time.



This one is Miltoniopsis Hajime Ono. Don't you just love the pansy like look of this orchid?



I don't like too much clutter but sitting out on my counter tops are my most used things within arms reach. Of course, the coffee pot with the mug tree next to it, Vietri canaster set, food processor in the corner and on either side of the cooktop is my seasonings and oils that are kept handy. Looking out my kitchen window is a bed of old roses which is always a joy.




At the end of the island is a small sink and directly behind is the sub-zero refrigerator. That was put there to keep the smaller and big people out of my most used work space. If they need a drink the ice is handy and water is available. I keep a supply of cups nearby as well.




Also close by is my tilted pitcher which usually has tea or lemonade for anyone who drops by. The pitcher is sitting on a marble piece that belonged to my mother. It's probably fifty years old.





My cookbook stand is always sitting on my island with one of my favorite and most used cookbooks, any cookbook by Ina Garten.



My favorite is her Paris book. My, have I used that one.




The heart of my home is the kitchen and I have made it a more pleasant space to be for me. At the opposite end of the kitchen is an antique French Pastry Table which the entire kitchen was decorated around. Behind the French Pastry Table is lots and lots of additional cabinets. Above the Pastry Table is an antique light fixture. It used to be powered by gas that was made electric. The gas keys are still on the fixture. I like mixing old and new for an electic look.




I hope you have enjoyed me sharing my kitchen and what sits atop my island. I am joining Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for her Tabletop Tuesday party.



There are such creative and interesting posts for Tabletop Tuesday. Go by to visit and enjoy this glorious Tuesday.

9 comments:

  1. Stunning. I love everything about your kitchen, it is just fabulous. Love the mix of the old and new. The french pastry table is fantastic. I really like the way you have decorated the island. I think they are hard to do and look good. Yours is beautiful with the cookbook, rooster, orchid and the pitcher. So pretty and so inviting. Thanks so much for joining the party. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitchen is gorgeous! I love your rooster cookie jar and orchids!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. No WAY! That is YOUR kitchen? I swore I was seeing pages from Better Homes & Gardens! Now I'm dying to see more of the rest of your home! Don't make me wait too long! Ha!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful kitchen. Love the the wrought iron table i spied in the eating area. I have always wanted that table.. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kitchen is just beautiful girl...love that french table and the gas light fixture...thanks fo sharing these great pics of your Heart of the home...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kitchen is absolutely stunning! I just love every little detail and you have chosen some very beautiful accessories.

    I am like you too-I always have a candle burning in the kitchen!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn, your kitchen is so welcoming. It makes me feel like a friend who could drop by and have a glass of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful and welcoming kitchen. There's no doubt that it's a functional one too - perfect balance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Carolyn!
    Your kitchen is wonderful! I remember way back when you talking about designing it! I know you absolutely love cooking in that gorgeous space! Love seeing our dear Ina! I too love BIP- use it all the time!
    Hope you and your family are well!
    joan

    ReplyDelete